Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost at the point of dropping the engine in my mk2 roadster (only about 15 years late, but it's a long story), and I am thinking now would be the best time to put air conditioning/heat in, rather than just heat as I had planned. I'd appreciate any recommendations on units, pictures of the firewall, and dashboard, so I can see how you guys did it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't have any pics of mine but Richard Oben at Northracecars.com sells a kit. He makes the aluminum "box" for the firewall and then re-sells a kit from a hot rod AC vendor that fits in it. He has some photos on the site.

Mine works well (for a not modern car not factory AC if you get my meaning).

I did decide to put the wiper motor in the drivers footbox mounted to the top of my donor pedal box due to space issues on the pass side.

Greg

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I also went with Richards kit. I can search for some pics.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Lots of added complexity to install AC in one of these cars. You might want to survey owners who have done it and ask if, when done, if it was worth it. I took a ride in a friends car with AC. The open cockpit sucks the cold air out, so your upper body does not get cooled much. I put a heater in my build and it's effectiveness was affected in the same way, however warming the legs and feet is so worth it when cold. Recently a guy pointed out the defroster is pretty much useless in the Cobra, however instead of connecting two ports to the defroster, he ran them toward other areas under the dash. Something to consider whether you go AC with heat or just with a heater.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also have a MK2 with the AC unit from Northracecars. It works well, but I never use it without the top on. I tend to drive year round because we do not have much other than Spring out here in Northern California. Even when it gets over 100F, I do not use the AC. It makes cold air at the vents and you can stick your fingers in them to cool down. With the hard top on, even without the windows, I can feel the difference with the AC on. I will grab some pictures today for you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have Richard’s A/C and heat in mine. I agree with the top off, not much help, where it really shines is with the top on and windows in during the rain, keeps the windows clear and the inside comfortable. I’ll stress the need to fully seal the cockpit from the engine compartment, it’s amazing how a small opening can funnel a lot of heat in the car. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
3,593 Posts
Good Morning, Steven. I've missed you since we moved from Fort Mill years ago. I hope I can jump in here without hijacking your thread.

Our MkI/II is 16 years into the adventure also and we are ready to move ahead with Richard Oben's A/C-Heat so we can enjoy the next 16 years (Dang.....I'll be 91 then!!). The North Race Car site has some photos that got me started. You have probably seen them. I have not yet identified anything that can't be handled with time and patience.

You may have probably already been here too, but the below got me started in my thinking about issues:
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/236306-air-conditioning-roadster-yes-no.html

I would be interested from others about their experience with any relocation of the WIPER MOTOR and IGNITION COIL (MSD Blaster II for me). These two seem to be problematic in our completed roadster.

Phillip

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would be interested from others about their experience with any relocation of the WIPER MOTOR and IGNITION COIL (MSD Blaster II for me). These two seem to be problematic in our completed roadster.

Phillip
Phillip,

I have both, the A/C does make the wiper motor install interesting. There’s a little room to the outside of the A/C box, but not much and I was afraid I couldn’t get to it with the body on in case of a problem. I opted to put it inside the drivers side foot box, fabbed up a mount to the upper 3/4 tube, then made a pass thru for the cable. Works fine.

My blaster 2 is mounted vertically on the drivers side F panel, been there for 21,000 miles.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
3,593 Posts
Thank you, John.

I'll know more about the wiper motor when Richard's box is in place (Got a show in August and a USMC thing in September, so probably October to begin the actual work).
You are right about the coil, that seemed to be the only place left for me with the compressor in place.

MSD makes a horizontal coil, but I could not see even a place on the intake for that.
I'll take some measurements and see if my coil wire will work or get another.

Phillip

·
Registered
616 Posts
Phillip, let me know if you need anything. Feel free to pm for my phone/email.

John

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Morning, Steven. I've missed you since we moved from Fort Mill years ago. I hope I can jump in here without hijacking your thread.

Our MkI/II is 16 years into the adventure also and we are ready to move ahead with Richard Oben's A/C-Heat so we can enjoy the next 16 years (Dang.....I'll be 91 then!!). The North Race Car site has some photos that got me started. You have probably seen them. I have not yet identified anything that can't be handled with time and patience.

You may have probably already been here too, but the below got me started in my thinking about issues:
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/236306-air-conditioning-roadster-yes-no.html

Phillip
Hi Philip,

I've missed being here, but thanks to my wife's insistence that we attend the London Ohio Cobra event a few weeks ago, I am determined to finally finish the car and attend the event in Ohio with a completed car. Are you still making the cockpit covers?

·
Senior Charter Member
3,593 Posts
We don't advertise covers here but when folks find us we still help those with a need. When you get to that point just yell.

We made too many July Road Trips in 95+ heat and feel like we have a few more of those trips in us if we can get A/C.

We have not been to London in several years, but Kay and I both think with A/C we also will make the trip in 2020.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We don't advertise covers here but when folks find us we still help those with a need. When you get to that point just yell.

We made too many July Road Trips in 95+ heat and feel like we have a few more of those trips in us if we can get A/C.

We have not been to London in several years, but Kay and I both think with A/C we also will make the trip in 2020.
I'll be ready for a cover in a few months if everything goes as planned.

So we both have London on our calendars, that's great!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,249 Posts
Phillip, good to see you guys are still kickin' I am still driving ole #1406 every week and enjoying it after 21 years!

·
Charter Member
1,754 Posts
I drove a Cobra with a hard top one summer. The top made a lot of difference. You're not sitting at the red light with the sun bearing down on you.
Lot cooler in the shade of the top.
I drove it to London that year. Rain was not a problem. And it did rain a lot that year.
We drove through the hills of Tenn. and Ky. at night, much warmer with the top.
I don't think the Cobra looks as good with the top but boy does it make driving year round so much more enjoyable.
Coach has had hard tops or a rag top for the three Cobras he has owned. And if it's not raining he drives, year round.

If you like driving year round a top is the way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts