Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air cleaner is hitting the side of the hood (inside the air scoop) on the R/H side. I'm sure under torque it will push the air cleaner over to the L/H side. Any ideas on how to either shift the body to the right or shift the engine to the left? I'm running a 460 BB.

·
Charter Member
1,734 Posts
Can't shift the body. You might have to cut off the hood scoop and replace with a rivit on one that is a little wider. -John

·
Junior Charter Member
873 Posts
Had the same problem, went to a 13" dia. air filter with a 1" drop base and a 2 1/2" high element. (Torker II manifold and 850 DP Holley). Now I'm a happy camper. Hope this helps.

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is some added information:
- 11" K/N filter 2-1/8" high
- Torquer II intake
- Holley 850 carb
- FF5 Pop riveted air scoop

It doesn't look I can shift the body over any more to the right.

Keezling - Where did you get an air cleaner with a 1" drop? What Manufacturer is it?

·
6,332 Posts
I have sunk more money into air cleaners trying to get a combination that looks right, works right and doesn't hit, than the law allows. Finally settled on a 14" Moroso 1½" drop base, K&N 14 X 2½ element with a plain Ford Racing top. The 3" element just barely contacts the scoop on my car. The 2½ is good with room to spare if the motor torques over. K&N also has a 14 X 2.8" element if you like living on the edge. I've looked and looked but I've never seen a dropped base in anything but 14" diameter.
Frank

[ October 23, 2006, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Frank Messina ]

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank - I know what you mean. I'm on my 3 air cleaner and so none of the work. I'll so some measuring tonight and see what I've got.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sometimes it just can't be simple.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If your using a spacer under your carb, get a thinner one. Don

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally resolved the with a 14" 7/8" recessed base (Summit #KNN-85-3545), 14 x 2-5/16" K&N air cleaner (Summit #KNN-E-3740) and a K&N Top (Summit #KNN-66-1401XR). All of this gave me about 1" clearance between the hood and the air cleaner and I don't see any more problems outside of having numerous extra air cleaners.

Again, thanks for the help.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
I had the same problem with a 14" air cleaner. It hit the passenger side of the hood and was touching the top of one wire on the HEI dist.
I put the base on the ground upside down and stepped on one side of where the air cleaner rests on the carb. Just enough to clear the hood by a 1/4" and the HEI by and 1/8", no one can tell. But some now know. I couldn't shift the engine because I shifted it to level out the sidepipes, 4 into 4's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.