Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,906 Posts
RE; vac advance. I have always run ported vac on mine. I once tried manifold vac and it ran terribly. Couldn't get the idle below about 1100 because of the extra advance. So I went back to ported. But that was prior to discovering that I had that super max amount of vac advance. I understand the theory of running manifold vac but it's just not worth it to me to screw around w/ it now as I am extremely happy w/ how my engine runs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just for clarity the water pumps for a sbf (and most engines) are centrifugal pumps. The coolant enters at the centre of the impeller and is pushed to the outside. The incorrect rotation pump will not pump the coolant backwards, it will just not pump the coolant forward very well at certain RPMs. In the old days they used to make straight vane pumps that worked with either rotation but not efficiently at all RPMs.
Standard rotation is clockwise and is used on V belts (they were here first) and your type of setup. Serpentine water pump setups can be either rotation but if the water pump pulley is smooth they are reverse rotation.

HTH

Norm
Update..Just finished the install with the correct rotation water pump. Everything works as it should. Water temp maintains 180 or less at cruise, 190 at extended idle, fan cycles brings it back to 180. What a relief. Also used a recommended radiator inlet hose to eliminate the crimp on the one that was there. Found that while researching on this site also. Thanks to all.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts