Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the American Automotive Systems carborated wiring harness. Appearantly I don't read very well or the "aftermarket wiring for Dummies" is just not in the manual. Anyone want to forward some ideas (pics since I don't read well) to help me along? I'm mainly interested in the mounting of the fuse box and firewallexit.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Most guy have two exits. One for the front end out the front/top of the DS footbox, one for the rear on the right side of the DS foot box and down the tunnel. Try searches of fuse box mounting and wiring. Also check out awesome FFR wiring help by one of the member here.

·
1,648 Posts
Hey Jeff

There have been many posts on fuse block location. I had Doug McCleary over one day during my build (yes the man that wrote The Car Builders Handbook) Great book by the way. He made a valid point on the fuse block location,
think of being on the side of the road trying to replace a critical fuse. Do you want to be on your back with your legs hanging out into on coming traffic sitting upright in your seat ?
In his book he suggest center console or the glove box. I had placed mine over the transmission
tunnel and used circuit breakers for the critical items ( ECU ,fuel pump,head and tail lights) The exit point for the wiring can go any where, just use a quaility gromment.

Heres a shot of my center console

Good luck
Brian

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
This is what I did for the fuse panel. It's mounted to a piece of .090 aluminum, and hinged with a piano hinge. The mount is bent so that the fuse box fits up between the chassis tubes, for a little more foot room. I split my front harness into two groups. The engine control wires go forward on the drivers side and the wires for the fans, lights, etc are on the right side. John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Mounted the fuse box similar to how J has his only mines not hinged. Front engine wires run out the front of pedal box near clutch cable opening. Front lights and horn run over to passangers side behind dash and exit that hole to the front of car. Rear lights,gas guage run thru the small d shaped hole by drivers knee into plastic contuit running along inside of tranny tunnel. I used the aaw harness but added some relays and fan therm. switch. Also don't cut any unused wires untill everything is up and funtional. Once you decide what wires won't be used,coil them up and secure under and behind dash in case you decide to add curcuits later on.
AAW harness was nice to work with,had well marked wires and plenty of spare curcuits.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
I think you mean American Autowire. They have an excellent tech support line, 800-482-WIRE, ask for Donny. I spent a few hours on the phone with those guys during the wiring phase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.