Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This all started at the 2011 London Cobra Show. When I got home Sunday evening I had an email from Dave Smith to call him as soon as I got home. I gave him a call and he proceded to tell me they were filiming PowerBlock TV in Nashville on Wednesday and wanted to know if there was any way I could have my car out there for the filming. This was going to be hard for me because I had just pulled my car on an open trailer for 9 hours in the pouring rain and I was scheduled for surgery Tuesday morning. As we stayed on the phone for about an hour he convinced me I needed to have it out there and asked me what I needed for my car and he would give it to me for letting them use it. I told him that I already had everything I wanted for the car and he kept on saying there had to be something. I told him there was one thing I did want but it was far to expensive to ask him for it. Finally after several prompts from him I told him that due to my cancer I wasn't suppose to be in the sun much and I had always wanted a Whitby's soft top but just never got around to getting one. he said "Say no more it's yours". Fast foward to Wednesday morning and my car was there on stage for the filming and I must admit it looked great even if I did spend all of my Monday cleaning it and all of my Tuesday getting cut on then getting my friend who was the 1st person I ever let drive my car come with me to drive it home from the filming. I met Dave outside and he was bragging about how good the car looked and I said I'd like to call a photographer to get some shots and he said they'd be taking tons of shots and I would get a copy of all of them. The filming was closing and they started taking pictures and they did one with Dave, Courtney and I, Then My Wife Courtney and I then My friend, etc on down the line. Dave was going in to negotiate contracts and asked me as a way of saying thanks if I'd be interested in being on the crew when they filmed the MKIV vs real Cobra show, and it would be his way of saying thanks for using the car. I said that would be great. Luckily I did have a couple wittnesses plus one was from the show. On the way home I told my wife he must have forgot about the Whitby Top but the pics and being on the show actually meant more to me. Fast fowarda couple months and I sent Dave an email about when the filming would be and he said he'd let me know. I also asked him about the pictures and that I never got any and he said he'd check on that. That afternoon a Girl from RTM productions alled me and wanted to know what my address was that she had something for me. The next day I got 1 8x10 of Dave, Courtney & I. I texted Dave and asked him about it and he said thats all we ever get. I thought to myself then why did they have us pose for all those shots? Oh well. It got closer to the 1st week of October and I texted Dave again about the show and he answered me saying he still didnt know the dates. Low and behold one Monday morning twoards the 1st of October I get a text of a picture of the Factory Five transporter unloading in front of the stuidos. One of my good friends works across the street and naturally I'd already blabbed it all over Nashville. A few minutes later and my phone rang and a friend of mine who is a friend of the front desk lady at the stuido wanted to know why I wasnt out there. All I could say was I guess I got fired. The more I thought about it the madder I got and shot off a text to Dave Smith that from now on started addressing himself to me in voice mails as "David Smith". He advised me that he had no Idea what I was talking about and that he didnt have any control over who RTM uses for a cast and that I more or less had lost my mind. Lucky him I had saved his texts and emails and below are the conversations. I had also told him that he 1st had promised me a Soft Top, Then Photos then a part in the show and I didnt get a thing he promised. After I emailed him the emails of what he said he said that being a man of his word he would call Jeff at Whitbys and order me a Top. I emaild Jeff the next day and he said that Dave did order the top and it should be about 3 weeks. To this day there has been no Top. Only a promise that mine is on the next shipment due in. I told Jeff that I know he's caught in the middle just to tell me whats going on but he never would. He just kept saying "about three weeks" Then a couple weeks ago when I posted about my cancer being back Dave Smith just happend to post "oh by the way I still owe you a top dont I?" I guess as just a way of rubbing my nose in it. Then Jeff said he'd get with Dave and get to the bottom of this and I've never heard from either of them since even after a couple emails. Now for your reading enjoyment. 1st Dave Smiths post then a few of the messages. My email sorts from the newest sent so you need to start at the bottom.

· Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lex,

We met at LCS two years ago when I was there with my daughters. Yours was the first car we stopped at as we walked in and I remember the TASCA tag on the flank. I was super proud of your car and super proud to have had it in the Powerblock (Courtney LOVED it!).

I knew about your first go-round with Cancer and just like two years ago at London, I happened to pull up the forum and saw your post. Shoot, I still owe you a soft top for that show!

My wife Denise and the kids and I will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Dave Smith, President
From Jeff at Whitbys who last October told me when I called and asked,”Yes Dave did order a top for you”

Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2012 10:09 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: Jeff, Read this please

Lex
I am sorry you are having to battle cancer again. I will keep you in my prayers. I will get with Dave and get to the bottom of your top. I know he stays busy, but we all do.
Thanks
Jeff

This was a message I had my wife send Jeff at Whitbys to see if they had one in stock:

Sent: Mon, May 14, 2012 7:25:26 PM
Subject: Re: Soft Top

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rita
We just shipped out all of our last shipment.There may be one more in there I will check tomorrow
I doubt we will have them replaced for fathers day probably the end of the month
Thanks
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
To: info <[email protected]>; info <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, May 14, 2012 5:11 pm
Subject: Soft Top

#AOLMsgPart_1_db422176-d39e-437c-9b9b-caea81626ebc td{color:black;}#AOLMsgPart_1_db422176-d39e-437c-9b9b-caea81626ebc DIV {margin:0px;}I was wanting to purchase a Soft Top for my husband for Fathers Day. He is building a Factory Five mark 3 that is almost complete.
Is this something you would have in stock? If not how long would it take to get one? Thank You, Rita Donnelly

Lex
you will get one out of the current run. There are lots of moving parts on this deal that need to hit together at the right time, and it looks like that is happening. I look forward to seeing you soon
Jeff

To: whitbymotorcars <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 13, 2012 10:35 am
Subject: Re: Top

Jeff, Just tell me straight up, am I getting one or is this another one of Dave Smiths promises? I don’t hold anything against you at all and I understand the cost of inventory and also putting your retail
paying customers 1st but Dave’s made me a lot of promises. I just want to be leveled with. Thanks Lex

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:23 AM

When we see each other, soon I hope, we can talk about this saga that has become your top.
Thanks
Jeff

Sent: Tue, Mar 13, 2012 8:04 am

Jeff, I hate to nag on as you would say it, but out of curiosity, you said in our last conversation last month they were done and you were working on the logistics on getting them to you
and then you would get one to me and that there shouldn’t be a problem getting me one by the middle of March. What happened to that bunch? I know I was probably put on the back burner since FFR was paying for this but is it just going to keep getting put off? Sorry if this sounds like a rant but it’s been since the 5th of October.

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:55 AM

We should have more in about4 weeks.

Sent: Tue, Mar 13, 2012 7:32 am

Jeff, Any idea on a time frame when it will be so I can have an idea when to re-plan another trip?

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:03 AM

Lex
We have a top ear marked for you in our current production, but it will not be redy this week
I am sorry
Thanks
jeff

To: info <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, Mar 12, 2012 1:11 pm
Subject: Top

Jeff, I just thought I’d ask one more time before I cancel my trip for next week. Any news on the top yet? Were suppose to leave here Friday but I can put it off till Monday
if I have to but I would need the top here by Friday to get it installed. Like I said I hate to keep bothering you but we’ve had this trip planned since January and I thought
for sure I’d have it on the car by now. Thanks Lex

Lex Holiman
709 Burleigh Ct
Nashville, Tn. 37221
615-594-2266
[email protected]
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 6:35 AM
To: Lex Holiman, James
Cc: Lavigne, Jason
Subject: From Dave Smith

Lex,

Just wanted to say thanks for having your car on the PowerBlock. You ought
to be real proud of the car you built and it sure looked good on the set!

Jim (from RTM) and I worked out a real good show and I was serious if you
want to be part of the build-crew when we film, that'll be my way of saying
thanks. I'll let you know when, but it looks like first week in October for
the build-comparo.

Also, we are going to have our big rig, cars, and crew at the Goodguys
Nationals Show in Columbus next weekend if you want to show off your car (I
would have you put in our booth next to Ford Racing). Let me know if you
want to go to Goodguys Nationals. I copied Jason here if you want to go you
can contact him directly.

Thanks again!

Dave Smith
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[/FONT]

· Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lex,

We are friends no matter what.

I completely understand how you got torqued off as I think I would too.

The crew at RTM was Jim's call and I even offered you as a wrench but he said they limited the number of guys so he didn't need the help. Also they downsized the work (instead of a major overhaul they are doing upgrades of brakes,m shocks and minor engine upgrades).

I can't do anything about the photos since I just assumed they always give me copies, that you could use em. I never imagined they wouldn't share or else I would've taken my own camera and shot your car on the set. Sorry about that one.

As far as the top, I'm sending you one as a way of saying sorry and because I said something would happen that didn't. I was excited and I felt I saw your car at LCS for a reason. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm leaving for Charlotte tomorrow and you are still open and invited to the cruise-in.

I'll call jeff and see his lead time for a top.

We're good and I respect you a ton.

Dave

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:40:17
To: Dave Smith<dsmithxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Fw: From Dave Smith

Dave, First off I want to apologize for unloading on you yesterday. I listed
to your voicemail later and just want to respond in a reasonable manner.
I know your not connected to RTM and understand your just a sponsor. I'm
partners of a very large business that is in all three major cities in
Tennessee and do a lot of TV work and sponsorship so I understand how it
works. The reason I blew up yesterday, and I hope you understand, was that
on our first conversation on the phone you told me to tell you anything I
want and I mentioned the top and I also said that was way too much to ask.
You said you would contact Whitby's and if you couldn't talk them out of it
you would let me have it at cost so we left it at that. Then while we were
talking at the shooting you said a photographer was going to come in and
take some shots and I'd get all the photos plus a DVD of the show. I
responded that I was fixing to hire a professional photographer to take some
shots and your response was "There you go. You won't have to now" .
After the shoot and you were getting ready to go in to do the contract you
asked me if I would like to be on the build crew for the MK4 build. There
were three other people standing there, my wife, my friend Randy, and one of
the RTM staff. Your quote when you asked was "You won't have a speaking part
but will just be helping hand parts etc". I told everyone after we got home
that it would be great so I forgot about the Whitby top considering this was
your thanks. After the show aired I sent a thank you to Jim at RTM and to
you, Jim responded to me about how great the car
looked etc. I asked him how long it would be until I got the photos and he
said I wouldn't be receiving any because they were all copyrighted and
they couldn't release them. I asked him why they had us pose for them and he
finally agreed to send me just the ones of my wife and I and you and I
with Courtney in front of the car. Your response to my thank you is below in
this email. Please read it so you'll understand that I'm not crazy or making
anything up. Later when I emailed you about the Super Speedway closing
is when you told me everything was moved to Charlotte and they didn’t need
any more people on the crew but I was welcome to come watch with you and Bob
Tasca and I said thank you but I wouldn't make it. I fully understood how
plans get changed and it didn't bother me a bit until I was awoke yesterday
by a photo of the semi unloading the car at RTM and then later a phone call
from someone who asked if I was at the filming because they
called FFR to order parts and when they gave them the ship to address the
person on your end said they were filming the MK4 build here this week.
You understand now why I got so upset yesterday? I know your very busy and
probably tend to forget some things but the whole line of events after the
filming had been building up then just exploded yesterday. Again, please
accept my apology and just brush the rest under the table. As you said the
filming was a blast and I was proud to see my car on TV. Thanks again for
all you do and I hope we can still be friends. Lex Holiman

Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:27 AM
Subject: Re: From Dave Smith

No problem! Hope you get better quick. Thanks again and I'll stay in touch
as we get closer to the build/show.
Dave

Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 07:18:23
To: <dsmithxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: From Dave Smith

Thanks Dave. Jason called me yesterday. I'm sorry but I can't make the
Goodguys show. Seems my little minor surgery has got infected and they've
got me down and out of commission for about a week. I would like to be part
of the crew on the show so keep me posted on the dates. Once again, Thanks
for all you do! Lex

Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 6:35 AM
Cc: Lavigne, Jason
Subject: From Dave Smith

Lex,

Just wanted to say thanks for having your car on the PowerBlock. You ought
to be real proud of the car you built and it sure looked good on the set!

Jim (from RTM) and I worked out a real good show and I was serious if you
want to be part of the build-crew when we film, that'll be my way of saying
thanks. I'll let you know when, but it looks like first week in October for
the build-comparo.

Also, we are going to have our big rig, cars, and crew at the Goodguys
Nationals Show in Columbus next weekend if you want to show off your car (I
would have you put in our booth next to Ford Racing). Let me know if you
want to go to Goodguys Nationals. I copied Jason here if you want to go you
can contact him directly.

Thanks again!

Dave Smith

· Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats funny about all this is I would have done that stupid show for kicks but now I've made a couple enemys out of friends all over a promise that "one person" never intended on keeping. Lex

· Registered
2,302 Posts
sorry to hear this and that it needed to be brought out.

I can say however from experience that producers will do whatever they want on a show and take very little if ANY input from any one else.

· Tool Collector
6,594 Posts
Lex, I feel for you, I really do. However, I always strive to give more and expect less. This avoids disappointment. I haven't weighed in on your current health situation to this point and sincerely wish you the best. I thank the Lord everyday for the health of my family and the health of my friends. I include you within that group. I know it sometimes helps to air a little dirty laundry, God only knows I have done my share. But I hope you find it in your heart to look past the short comings of those you are having issue with and focus all of your attention on getting well. Those of us with integrity always do what is morally best for those we serve and my hope is that both Dave and Jeff work this out with you. Hang in there brother. Frank

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm Lex's friend Randy who drove Lex's Cobra to the Powerblock shoot and was privy to the conversations and actions that Lex outlined.

While it was a great experience that we will always remember and we thank all parties for the opportunity, the fact is promises were made that frankly were not kept.

A man's word is his bond. Don't promise what you cannot or have no intention of delivering.

I truly hope this works out for all concerned. I think Lex has allowed it ample time to do so before going "public".

Randy in Nashville

· Team FFR Mechanic
1,726 Posts
Wow, that is just sad...... :sad:

Hope this stuff gets worked out and more importantly I hope you regain your health. We are pulling for you Lex.

· Registered
6,093 Posts
Feel really bad about your health situation, and hope it works out for the best. But I'm just not sure what is to be gained by airing all of this, including personal emails, references to personal voice mails, etc. Not taking sides at all, but there are two sides to every story, and it won't get resolved like this. Just my opinion. Hate it every time I see threads like this. There are no winners.

8,023 Posts
Lex I wish you the very very best with your health situation. You do not need the psychological weight of this issue bringing you down, and it most obviously is by the fact that you took the time to make this post. Please just walk away from this and concentrate on your health. As Frank said, take the high road and leave this behind. You can be very proud of your car and what you did for others you don't need to let this get to you.

· Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Feel really bad about your health situation, and hope it works out for the best. But I'm just not sure what is to be gained by airing all of this, including personal emails, references to personal voice mails, etc. Not taking sides at all, but there are two sides to every story, and it won't get resolved like this. Just my opinion. Hate it every time I see threads like this. There are no winners.

The only "personal email" shown is that of mine and my wifes. The ones from Whitby are posted all over their website. I x'd-out Daves. I feel I held it in for 15 months without saying a word and if anything were going to be resolved it would have been by now. Espically when Dave starts his post "We met at London two years ago" when I had just emaild him and sent a private message on his fourm to him a week before. He knew what was going on.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
I really hope you get that top Lex. Just so you can enjoy the car that brings you some joy. There are two sides to every story, or I should say, each side takes away a different remembrance of events. But, it's pretty clear you should have a top. I think it's fair to put somebody on blast after 15 months of waiting for a product. The reality is, some fool could have brought a different kit to Nashville, or FFR could have sent the big rig, but being a community you hung it out there for FFR and kept your word you would be there ready to roll. Thanks for letting me see a sweet roadster on tv and tell my friends I know who built that beast. Thanks Internet buddy! Get well.

Nick M.

· Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
Lex,

Put all your effort into getting well. Unfortunately sometimes people who you think are your friends are more so when they are in need of something you have, which is a really nice car. Maybe someday those people will step up to the plate and do what is right and what was promised. If not, usually there is opportunity where they will get the same treatment some day.
If after 15 months nothing has changed it probably won't.
You should be proud of having your car in the spot light for all of us to drool on our TV screens over. Move on and hold your head up.
Good luck and Get Well

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
WTF?
Somebody better step up to the plate for you,,and soon..That's pretty bad..:(

· Registered
563 Posts
Lex,
Sorry to hear about everything. Seems to me very reasonable that you vent. Now that you have, move on with a lesson learned. At this point, would getting a top really make everything better? Probably not. The only person you are hurting now is yourself, so let it go and focus your energy on those you love.
Good luck and God bless.
Peter

· Registered
689 Posts
That sucks, it's pretty clear that you are owed a top, before I had own a FFR I had Dave Smith and FFR on a pedestal, but after trying to order a MKIV a few months ago and having some things "change" on my order out of the blue and now this, I am sadden to say the Dave Smith and as a extension FFR are definetly out of that pedestal in my book.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.