Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,124 Posts
Chrisarella, the red cobra in one of my pictures has the Trufiber splitter. Looks very nice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chrisarella, the red cobra in one of my pictures has the Trufiber splitter. Looks very nice.

Excellent. Thanks Trevor.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,137 Posts
You've sanded down those fiberglass seams by now, right Chepsk8?

Your aero is definitely what I'm looking at for my own. Mostly underbody stuff, plus hood vents, still trying to figure out the shape and mounting points. any suggestions for what to do around the wheels? any problems keeping the transmission or rear diff cool?
Nope, still has the seams! High speed directional stability!! ;)

Yes, like Trevor, I did have heat issues. I actually cooked a tranny when I was too aggressive with the skirts and front spoiler, as I had probably eliminated under-car airflow, thus achieving my goals, but it got very hot in the cockpit.

So, raised up the skirts an inch, slightly smaller front spoiler plus the winglets, car is stable and goes where I point it.

Many different kind of vents for the hood. I just ultimately went with the open mesh, nothing tricky, no re-painting.

You'll have to come and look at the car if you can make it work.

·
Charter Member
1,215 Posts
Great conversations, i run the vraptor vents and the dwc air dam with tape opening between the dam and body. Between 130-140 mph i still feel lightness in front end. I can live with it since i don't want to go any faster. If i could have a do-over, i'd lose the windshield install rear wing and rear diffuser. The front profile of the roadster is the issue imo, Maybe it's time for a coupe or gtm build or stick to smaller tracks (but i enjoy road america too much).

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Galla, I think your thinking is right for sure. Yep, a coupe would be a huge advantage. But, sticking to the roadster, it has two problems, drag and front end lift. One huge change on the drag would be, as you know, to get rid of the windshield. Not sure where you are rules wise, and build wise(how much you want to mod your car), but that would be my goal. Just look at the front view of a roadster and it's easy to see the w/s is 20-25% of it's frontal area. Of course than you will go faster, and then the front end lift will be worse. And then....? But it's all fun isn't it?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,137 Posts
I have about 25% of the grille taped off with no affect on the cooling. Kinda like NASCAR.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm with Galla4, 140 is fast enough and I don't like shifting in & out of 5th. Easily hit 140 on VIR South Track and Grattan. Been considerably faster but those were momentary lapses of reason. I'm not racing, just HPDE for fun.

I do want to thank those that have contributed to this topic. Lot's of great info, certainly much to consider. We can all benefit.

Jim

·
Charter Member
6,124 Posts
yea Jim, I bounce off the rev limiter about 2/3s down the back straight doing 162 at VIR. I hit 155 on the front straight!

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
But, sticking to the roadster, it has two problems, drag and front end lift. One huge change on the drag would be, as you know, to get rid of the windshield. Just look at the front view of a roadster and it's easy to see the w/s is 20-25% of it's frontal area.
If you have a chance, go back and look at some of the archival photos of the roadsters when they were racing. Many of them have the W/S laid back, some of them at a really radical angle, almost laid flat.

And laid way back, the W/S might have acted like a wing to create some downforce rather than drag.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'm with Galla4, 140 is fast enough and I don't like shifting in & out of 5th. Easily hit 140 on VIR South Track and Grattan. Been considerably faster but those were momentary lapses of reason. I'm not racing, just HPDE for fun.

I do want to thank those that have contributed to this topic. Lot's of great info, certainly much to consider. We can all benefit.

Jim
Why don't you like shifting in/out of 5th, is it that the shift is just awkward ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tony,

The 4-5 shift is notchy and I guess I'm a bit weird (for so many reasons) and don't like driving w/ one hand at 140-150. Previous car w/ 3.27s, 315/35-17 and a TKO 600 would go 157 in 4th, that was about all it had, maybe 6,800rpm. Plenty fast. 140 is just fine.

I'm looking at the T56 for this build, all indications are that it shifts better and should work well with my street driving style. Don't need the weight but at least it's in the middle.

Jim

·
Charter Member
1,215 Posts
Jim, you aren't weird on the 5th to 4th shift in my opinion. It happens for me coming off main straights into a sweeping turn. Lots to think of: carrying speed, hitting apex, not over-cooking brakes, oh btw traffic. I wish i was a better driver but i haven't lost an instructor yet. Shifting is a secondary concern but i still wear out clutches. 🙂
Tim

21 - 32 of 32 Posts