Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing an old-spec Challenge Car. My driving plan is to spend a year-ish learning between AX, HPDE, and TT (with the intent or learning and having fun), then start racing.

With this in mind:
- what would you suggest for upgrades to the new Spec in priority order?
- what sources for the parts? Trying to save...

Finally, I have a 5.0L with TFS injectors, TB, MAF and 1.7 lifters on stock heads. Would this add ANY power? Not sure how much the lifters open up the breathing, or how much it matters with a stock cam.

The seller is going to keep the car over the winter to do these (he is far more experienced than I am with FF Challenge cars!) for a project, so I will leave the simpler tasks for my limited time schedule! :)

Thanks!

Eric

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
Hi Eric and welcome!

I would suggest to do the upgrades in this order (leave engine stock for now):

1. front suspension/spindles/brakes (source spindles from FFR, brakes from rockauto.com)
2. change rear gear ratio in axle to 3.08

complete HPDE/TT/Comp School with that package

3. Once you are ready, purchase the Trickflow upper end kit raising the power level.

The front suspension/brakes are the biggest improvement making the car handle effortless. Once you mastered that (will be nice to teach you to carry momentum) you can bump up the power.

BTW, on another note, we have been using the factory five racing forum mainly, lots more info on that with regards to the new rules/suspension/engine package..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John - I was just signing on to repost there, and add an additional question. :)

I will start looking there first for the Challenge series.

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.