Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Victory is ours! Fite4it!
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm new to the form and to the 4.6L's. I just got a 2003 Mach 1 salvage with 18,000 miles on it for my donor. I dont really want to tear into the engine because of the low mileage (also because I'm not terribly familiar with them). Does anyone have any good advice as to what I can do to get some extra ponies out of it? Nothing outrageous, but more of simpler bolt-on power upgrades I can make to it while the engine is out of the car. Also, not sure as to the type of 5-speed it has in it (I think it may be a TR-3550), but is there anything simple that can be done to the tranny as well (ie. type of short-throw or anything else)? Obviously, I'll be pulling none-essentials off like A/C and anything else I can find.

Also, is there any way to use the steering column out of the Mach 1 in my FFR Mk3.1? I'd like to keep features like the tilt, anti-theft ignition, high beam, washer and wiper, and turn signals on the column.

Any advice here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
Pulleys are the only thing that come to mind.
Don't get too caught up in the "numbers" The engine came out of a car that was impressive. Your putting on a cold air intake, a better flowing exhaust, and dropping 1000 lb.
I have 1999 cobra engine with 3:73's in my go-cart. All I can say is WOW.
I'd hold off on the shifter. You can do that MUCH later. Spend the money some where else.

Search PATS to answer your anti-theft ignition question. If you want PATS it may limit your wire diet options. You could use the mustang turn signal switch mounted under the dash for everything but self canceling turn signal. I got mine from Russ and LOVE it.

Last tip: If your going with 4 into 4 FFR headers be sure to bend the dipstick tube BEFORE you put the engine in.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TD, what are your thoughts on an aluminum flywheel? I heard that it adds an additional 15 to 20 HP. What are your thoughts on keeping the Shaker setup and seeing if it lines up under the hood scoop? Or, do you really recommend the cold air intake? If so, which one?

Also, the FFR guys said it would be better to keep the stock headers and flip them around since I'm in NY and need to have the cats on there for inspection. They said their headers do not accept the cats with the side exhaust.

Also, any thoughts on Superchargers? I've read some guys really love it and get an additional 100HP+ out of the Mach 1. I've seen stock supercharges on eBay off of Cobra's and GT500's going for about $400 complete. However, I've also read that you have to be real careful as the compression is high on the Mach 1's, and the pistons and rods are cast.

Finaly, pardon my ignorance here, but what is PATS and who is Russ? If I can't use the column, then I'd definately love to use the lever like you said.

Thank you so much for your advice. It's really helpful to me on this project. I'll take all the help I can get here.

Thanks,
Alex

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Live in the city, building in Wayne NJ, but will be in Tappan by the time its finished. Was told that you need the cats in NY since the engine is out of a 2003. Tell me it aint so?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
Thanks TD, what are your thoughts on an aluminum flywheel? I heard that it adds an additional 15 to 20 HP. What are your thoughts on keeping the Shaker setup and seeing if it lines up under the hood scoop? Or, do you really recommend the cold air intake? If so, which one?
I don't know your background, but I think you'll be more than happy with the HP in near stock form.
http://www.factoryfive.com/table/awards/caranddriver.html

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/0803kc_2004_ffr_mk3_roadster/index.html

As far as the the scoop all I can say is the search function here is your friend. I can tell you, you'll spend $$ to make it work vs making $$ selling it to fund the shifter you want.
I also know air comes OUT of the factory scoop after 40 MPH.

Also, the FFR guys said it would be better to keep the stock headers and flip them around since I'm in NY and need to have the cats on there for inspection. They said their headers do not accept the cats with the side exhaust.
Keep stock or "shorty" headers
Also, any thoughts on Superchargers? I've read some guys really love it and get an additional 100HP+ out of the Mach 1. I've seen stock supercharges on Ebay off of Cobra's and GT500's going for about $400 complete. However, I've also read that you have to be real careful as the compression is high on the Mach 1's, and the pistons and rods are cast.
See if you can get a ride in a 4.6 DOHC car before you spend all the money. Don't get caught up in "bragging rights".
Finally, pardon my ignorance here, but what is PATS and who is Russ? If I can't use the column, then I'd definitely love to use the lever like you said.
Passive Anti Theft System = anti-theft ignition
Research wire diets now. you'll spend $1000 +
Russ = http://www.norcal-cobras.com/store/russ_garage/russ_garage.htm

·
Registered
211 Posts
no you do not it will be titled as year of completion as a special contruction so it will be emisions exempt
the ny inspection works like this
file with albany
get an inspection date
trailer the car to the inspection station
hopefully you meet all the criteria
get a yellow tag from the state along with a vin to take to the zoo(I mean dmv)

or do what I did and reg. it in florida your in and out in 20 minutes with a title and antique plates

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,732 Posts
Well it's a little more complicated then that, but Bob Bz is right about being emmisions exempt, just got mine inspected today Saftey only 10$, one of the only bargains left in NY!

You'll need to flatbed your build to/from a certified weight station to file paperwork.
Mail it upstate they give you an appointment.
to/from the police inspection to get paperwork approved, it goes upstate again they mail you a form for it's first inspector
and to/from it's first road inspection you get a form to take to DMV and then you get issued a title and plates for road use.

Very Important is that you have legal recipt's and titles!!!

There is ONE person in NYSDMV who does ALL of these, and shes heard it all, and shes cranky.
There are two guy's that will help you with anything else, they're familiar with FFR's
I have the correct answers to the questions on the saftey forms if you need
with all the DOT#'s they want.

·
Charter Member
352 Posts
Alex,

I too have a Mach 1 donor, mine is an 03 though. Your tranny should be a t-3650 and I opted for an MGW short-throw shifter (http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml). This is considerably better than the OEM shifter.

Following is a link to a web site dedicated to the 03-04 Mach's. You should spend some time here for possible upgrades to your drivetrain, http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php. They will discuss minor bolt-ons like an intake spacer, and FRPP shorty headers all the way up to big ticket bolt-ons like a supercharger.

I would recommend installing the driver's side head cooling mod now while the engine is out. This mod is more critical if you decide to add more horse power to the engine.

take care,

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey TD, sorry for the delayed response. My background is actually electrical engineering, but most of my mechanical history has been with Chevy's. I built a 67 Camaro street monster ground up in high school which I later had to sell to go to college. Wound up having to part the car out because no one seemed to be able to come with the whole nut for it. It broke my heart as the kid that bought the engine and tranny, twisted the body of his Camaro because he didn't tie it like I recommended. And, then later he wrapped the whole thing around a tree after racing someone in the rain. Then later over one summer while in college I built a 95 Monte Carlo SS, which was more a nice but tame car. I drove for about half a year and then parked it in front of my aunt's house in Brooklyn when visiting her on Thanksgiving. Not even 10 minutes into the visit, I heard the car start and as we ran down all I saw was smoke and tail lights. Someone stole right in front of me and to make matter worse, it had my tools in it, a fresh oil change and a full tank of gas. So, ever since I've been wanting to get into something different. Fast forward 15 years and some savings in the toy fund, and here we are at my very first Ford build.

The articles you sent are great and it certainly makes me feel better about the stock HP of this motor. Also, I do need to raise some more money for nice rims (thinking of FR500's), tires and paint, so I am now in full agreement now with you. The shaker setup and the rest of the Mach 1 are going on eBay.

What would you recommend for a Cold Air Intake, and will I need to change out the air sensor unit along with the throttle body? Also, would putting on "shorty" headers give me much more exhaust flow over the stock ones? If not, would it hurt anything to have the stock ones ceramic coated?

Thanks for clearing up the PATS and the RUSS issue, and for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey berzerko, thanks for the update. How do you get it registered in Florida if you are a NY resident? I actually have an uncle in Florida so I may be able to do that. Also, once it's registered in Florida, can you simply re-register it here in NY without having to go through all the mess?

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Johno250, thanks for clearing this up, but man it sounds like getting it registered is more difficult than the build itself! I hate bureaucracy and paperwork, but I may need your cheatsheet and those contacts.

Also, thanks for clearing up the emissions issue for me. I will not utilize the cats if I dont need to now (I imagine it will also give me a few extra ponies). However, will that screw up the computer and what do you so about the O2 sensors that go into the cats. Is there some kind of adjustment that needs to be done to the chip?

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks nanderson, I will definately take a look at these two sites. Also, my Mach 1 is a 2003 as well. It has a salvage title and think it was a stolen recovery. It got hit in the front and has a broken axle. Rear drivers side wheel broke clean off, caliper attached and all. So, I'll be throwing in new axles as well. All 4 rims and tires are shot and the nose along with the radiator section are damaged pretty heavily. Question, what is a "driver's side head cooling mod" used for? Like I said, this is all new to me.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,732 Posts
Hey Johno250, thanks for clearing this up, but man it sounds like getting it registered is more difficult than the build itself! I hate bureaucracy and paperwork, but I may need your cheatsheet and those contacts.

Also, thanks for clearing up the emissions issue for me. I will not utilize the cats if I dont need to now (I imagine it will also give me a few extra ponies). However, will that screw up the computer and what do you so about the O2 sensors that go into the cats. Is there some kind of adjustment that needs to be done to the chip?
It wasn't as bad as it sounds but it took a little time.
I recommend you do a little searching on this board for a while, it will answer a ton of questions you have.
and there is a dummy sensor to tell the computer everything is normal.
BTW, I did use cats cause, I thought like you did about emmisions.

On the titling out of state thing I looked into it, but that seemed to be as big a headache
as what I did, the states are really cracking down on it the last couple of years.

Some NYS cars finished only a year or so before mine got titled as 65's, no more....
I know somebody right now who trying to title an off brand cobra but he seem's to think he can get around the folks upstate he been at it close to a year now he has no proof of ownership of his engine.
If your rear axle is shot you can use the earlier fox width axle and get more tire choices
Turbo bird axles are the same and have good gear ratio's and posi 3.55 and 3.91(auto)
but you need to go to 5 lug, I think you can engineer in ABS if you want. I didn't

·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Johno250, but I think I'm just going to go with a factory axle. It's about $100 bucks and should do the trick if I'm keeping it under 400HP. Plus, there are a ton of 18" rims out there for these Mustangs. I just hope nothing else is broken in the rear as it has very low mileage. It looks like a clean break right at the hub.

Also, do you think there would be a considerable power difference if I decided not to run the cats?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mach 1 Mods

I just finished my 03 Mach build last October.
I had Chris at I-Squared do a wire diet, flash out PATS and emissions, do a performance flash etc - well worth it in my opinion.
The car absolutely screams.
I had the stock 3.55 in the rear and was doing 80 in 4th gear at about 3000 rpm (I've go the .xls with all the calulations if you want it PM me your email).
I put in 4.10 gear and totally absolutely love it - screams to 80 wicked quick. Still have to be doing 80 to shift into 5th at about 2700-2800 rpm.
I put in Iridium plugs and they are great.
Ripped off the upper and lower intake - took 6 cans of brake clean fluid to clean out the lower intake crap from the EGR mess. I put in stainless valve cover breathers.
I deleted all emissions.
I put the 02 sensors (front only) in bungs in the sidepipes (got wiring extenders to reach).
Here's a few pics attached.
PM me if you want my number to talk.
You will love this engine - it screams (did i mention that already).
Attached are some engine pics and here is the link of some build pics.

http://www.lonestarclassics.com/__LSC/viewtopic.php?t=1146&highlight=sssnakes

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have a 2003 Mach1 engine and a 3.55 rear. I can barely keep power to the ground as it is and really have no use for more power. Granted, once you get past 120mpg or so, you start to need the horsepower to push air.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I just finished my 03 Mach build last October.
I had Chris at I-Squared do a wire diet, flash out PATS and emissions, do a performance flash etc - well worth it in my opinion.
The car absolutely screams.

Tony
What frame is that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guys, I'm new to the form and to the 4.6L's. I just got a 2003 Mach 1 salvage with 18,000 miles on it for my donor. I dont really want to tear into the engine because of the low mileage (also because I'm not terribly familiar with them). Does anyone have any good advice as to what I can do to get some extra ponies out of it? Nothing outrageous, but more of simpler bolt-on power upgrades I can make to it while the engine is out of the car. Also, not sure as to the type of 5-speed it has in it (I think it may be a TR-3550), but is there anything simple that can be done to the tranny as well (ie. type of short-throw or anything else)? Obviously, I'll be pulling none-essentials off like A/C and anything else I can find.

Also, is there any way to use the steering column out of the Mach 1 in my FFR Mk3.1? I'd like to keep features like the tilt, anti-theft ignition, high beam, washer and wiper, and turn signals on the column.

Any advice here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
here you go man i compiled a list of Bolt on's as you requested and their approximate prices from my other forum

Here Is a List of the Best mod's for under, and their Prices
**Bolt Ons**
Intake Spacer $100 (roy M1R#)
Catback $300
X-pipe $300
CAI $200
MGW $169
Aluminum DS $200
Accufab TB $350
L/T's * $400-700
Gears *

**Tuners**
Diablo Predator $319
SCT SF3/X3 $479

thats a list of all the mod's i could find to be fairly inexpensive and show some results on a dyno/ street, and that can be installed with average joe tools and in average joe time. with the singular exception being the long tube headers, from what i understand they're a bitch.

*= prices vary depending on maker.

# For all you guy's that are looking at getting Intake spacer (which i recommend) RoyC on here is the man to get it from. He will help you in every way possible, any questions and concerns you have he can help and will be more than willing to help. After receiving a bunch of PMs from Macher's and Non Mach 1 owners i thought it would be a good idea to get his contact info.

Any kind of spacer you need from 3/8-3" this is the man!

Roy
E-mail address is
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts