Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all new IRS parts with a FMS Tortion-lok diff instaled in an old T-Bird pumpkin. The Pumpkin is open since I dont have any fluid in the case and the CVs are not installed on the pumpkin at all. The pumpkin has all new seals, bushings and other Misc. innerds. I have the T-Bird shafts with CVs at both ends and Stu Spencer has reworked my IRS spindools and hubs.

I tried to sell these parts, but now Im just gonna keep them stored for when I can use them on my FFR Coupe.

Now that I am planning to store these parts, I want to do a proper job of protecting the internals from dust & corrosion. Should I spray everything down with some type of oil and then bag everything in heavy plastic ? If so, what oil should I use ?

Are there any do's or Dont's ??

I dont expect to need these parts for a couple years.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
I wouldn't use plastic because moisture will condense inside of it and stay there. I would just spray everything with light oil (I use WD-40 or Tri-Flow) and wrap it up in an old bed sheet or towel and shove it in the corner of the garage.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some heavy wax-based motorcycle chain lube. Would that work OK ? Its so stickey, that moisture wont penetrate.

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
I second the LPS stuff or Boeshield. Both have lasted 5 to 7 years on stuff I packed away.
I thought 2000 was going to be a tough year.
I also thought EMP was going to damage the electronics.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
David,

WD40 or the motorcycle chain lube will work just fine. Get yourself a cardboard box (cardboard will wick up any moisture), an old towel and put it on a shelf above 3 feet tall (most moisture is wicked up through your concrete flooring) and you'll be good to go.

Bill S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts