Factory Five Racing Forum banner

advice for top end of a 331 motor

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MatthewP 
Get the Track Heat version of the TFS heads which have better springs and delete the thermactor passages. If you are going to get them ported, get them from Total Engine Airflow - they do the factory porting for Trick Flow and will usually sell you the heads cheaper than other retailers, plus they are one of the best head porters in the country if you want a more serious set of these heads, which I recommend with a 347. Mike Schmidt there can sell you all the valvetrain parts too. By the way, I do endorse these heads - they are the best in thier class for sure.

I would suggest using a cam like the Comp XE274HR which is basically the same as the TFS Stage 2 with this combination rather than the Magnum 280HR you have selected.

There is no reason that any good stud mount rocker arms for an inline Ford setup won't work on these heads, but you need to check the pushrod length because it will not be the same as stock. I ran Crane Blazers with my TFS Track Heats years ago. I ran 7000 RPM, kicked the hell out of it in hundreds and hundreds of drag passes, and never had a problem.

I also suggest getting a built short block from someone who builds them all the time. Most of the time it costs more and delivers less to do it the way you are doing it, and many neighborhood rebuild shops just are not equipped to build one of these motors right - for instance, many of them don't have the torque plates to put on when honing the cylinders. I have no knowledge of the guys you are working with and maybe they are superstars, but most of the time when I hear a story like yours the job takes forever, costs too much, and ends up being a smokey piece of junk anyway. If you want something genuinely good, try Bennett Racing. If you want a competently build budget motor try someone like Coast High Performance.

By the way, you should be fine up to about 11:1 on 91 octane pump gas, especially if you run a tight quench height. I ran like this for years across the whole range of North American elevations with no problems.

-Matthew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.