Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you could say I'm just starting my build and I figured the motor would be a good place to start. I'm planning on picking up my kit early next summer... Anyway, I picked up a pretty abused E7 block that had a couple broken piston rings, crank bearings worn down to the copper, and a good bit of sludge.
I'm going to drop off the block to get it machined and a 331 stroker kit put in once I get a quote back from the machine shop.

The set up I'm going with, after quite of bit of research, is a 650 cm carb, performer RPM intake, MSD ignition, and replacing the lifters and water and oil pump. I'm having a hard time selecting a set of heads, cam, and rockers. After talking with the ford fanatics that I work with, they recommended a set of 170 trick flow heads and a 35-430-8 COMP magnum cam, with 1.72 rockers . I did the math and the valve's should clear with that setup...

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Don't waste your time with 1.72 rockers.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If you are buying the TFS heads you should buy the TFS rockers.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Don't waste your time with 1.72 rockers.
+1

I ended up with six months (+) research on your topic. Who knew?

The TFS heads work great with a 331 - I'm sure there are other heads that would also work great.

With strokers (especially) you have to be very careful with head + piston selection. It comes down to you're going to have to pick a head first, you need to know the combustion chamber size before you can pick pistons (or you'll end up with a diesel). Also have a good idea of the head gasket thicknesses that you have available to work with. Double check everything with a compression ratio calculator such as available on the Summit website (toward the bottom of the detail page for pistons + such). TFS heads usually require pistons cut to clear the (Twisted Wedge) valve location. They're commonly available, but you have to know you're looking for them.

You've selected a cam that shows .560" lift with 1.6 rockers, and your stock heads from TFS are rated for .550". And you mentioned 1.72 rockers - looking forward to dropping a valve???

Those heads don't flow any more at .600 lift than they do at .500 lift (but they flow really well at .500" lift).... You're probably going to have some trouble finding off the shelf cams that are suitably aggressive without getting over .550 lift. Gordon Levy, Mike Forte and others have some solutions.

The TFS heads are not that ticky about which roller rockers go in them, but that stuff really needs to be set up by someone who really understands what it's supposed to look like and how it's supposed to fit + work. Someone who puts that stuff together on a regular basis and their engines don't blow up...

You will almost certainly not be using stock length pushrods. That goes right back into rocker selection + fit up. And that's a little "ticky" for someone who doesn't look at that sort of thing every day.

You didn't mention rods - I *think* 331 requires a different length rod??? (many strokers do). You're probably not going to want to run stock rods anyway if you're going to all the cam / head / etc work....

If I had it all to do over I would have saved time (and maybe money) by going with a crate engine. And they come with a warranty (some of them)....

Just a few points to be thinking about. Hope it helps,

Mike

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
P.S.

While you're studying on all that...

Play with the search function on this forum and read some of the (seemingly endless) "my distributor gear ate my cam gear" threads. Hopefully that information will save you some heartache down the road.

Good luck with it,

Mike

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
And finally, let me note that the TFS installation instructions regarding rocker height and pushrod length *might* work for TFS rockers.

It's definately not likely to be right if you're using someone elses' rockers (and I've got my doubts about it working right on their rockers, but I don't know that for sure).

See 5.e. here:

http://static.trickflow.com/global/images/instructions/tfs-51400002%282%291.pdf

So, how big an expert do you want to (have time to) become?

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike. A lot of this is very helpful. I've been doing my 'homework' on just about everything. I think I'm pushing 6 months of just doing research myself. It's ben pretty slow at work.

I initially was going to buy a crate motor, but I talked myself out of it. Half the fun is building it, I hope...

I was going to ask the machine shop if they had any advice on selecting heads. Looks like I've got some more reading and research to do. Thanks again.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,082 Posts
Hi Hartway,
FYI. I had a mild(340rwhp/370rwtq) 347 OEM short block built for me last winter. I "up-graded" my old 170 FAC heads with TFS spring " upgrade kit" and did a "gasket match"(1262gaskets) from intake to head. Tom Moss ported RPMII(EFI)intake, upgraded 170 heads, TFS stage II cam/rr's. Motor runs GREAT! Have a "pro" do all the machine work and can you put parts together?
hth
Butch

PS
Trick Flow makes good parts IMHO!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After talking to the machine shop. I've got a better idea of what I'm going to do with the motor. They talked me into doing a 347 stroker, it was the same price as the 331 kit. 6-8 weeks turnaround time. They will let me know the condition of the block and what needs to be done this week after it gets washed, measured, and what not...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
593 Posts
Get the Track Heat version of the TFS heads which have better springs and delete the thermactor passages. If you are going to get them ported, get them from Total Engine Airflow - they do the factory porting for Trick Flow and will usually sell you the heads cheaper than other retailers, plus they are one of the best head porters in the country if you want a more serious set of these heads, which I recommend with a 347. Mike Schmidt there can sell you all the valvetrain parts too. By the way, I do endorse these heads - they are the best in thier class for sure.

I would suggest using a cam like the Comp XE274HR which is basically the same as the TFS Stage 2 with this combination rather than the Magnum 280HR you have selected.

There is no reason that any good stud mount rocker arms for an inline Ford setup won't work on these heads, but you need to check the pushrod length because it will not be the same as stock. I ran Crane Blazers with my TFS Track Heats years ago. I ran 7000 RPM, kicked the hell out of it in hundreds and hundreds of drag passes, and never had a problem.

I also suggest getting a built short block from someone who builds them all the time. Most of the time it costs more and delivers less to do it the way you are doing it, and many neighborhood rebuild shops just are not equipped to build one of these motors right - for instance, many of them don't have the torque plates to put on when honing the cylinders. I have no knowledge of the guys you are working with and maybe they are superstars, but most of the time when I hear a story like yours the job takes forever, costs too much, and ends up being a smokey piece of junk anyway. If you want something genuinely good, try Bennett Racing. If you want a competently build budget motor try someone like Coast High Performance.

By the way, you should be fine up to about 11:1 on 91 octane pump gas, especially if you run a tight quench height. I ran like this for years across the whole range of North American elevations with no problems.

-Matthew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.