Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put in the drivers seat tracks will I gain or lose some leg room, or same?? I'm 6'1". Also am going with the 14" steering wheel for addl. leg/knee room. Any feedback from tall guys out there??

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Rex,

I bought the Breeze kit and will most likely remove it. It takes too much room away for my 6' 2" frame. The problem is that it pushes my knees into the dash.
Just my .02

·
7,134 Posts
I think what you'll find is that you may be too high in the seat after adj. tracks.

I took mine out as I was too high up, also 6'1". The wife will now just have to use a cushion when she drives it.

Raising the seat front helps with comfort, but too much costs you leg room, so I added an additional spacer to just the seat bottom after fastening the seat to car - the seat front is raised 1 1/4" off floor and added a second spacer to seat bottom of around 1/2 - 3/4 (not measured). Gives better upper leg support.

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Hi Rex, if you still have the opportunity in your build, try adding some 1/4-3/4 inch spacers under the dash steering shaft pillow block bearing.
I added 1/4" on my build but it was too late to add any more. (I would have added more but my dash was all finiahed). This will give you a bit more steering wheel wheel to thigh clearance. You may have to slightly re-adjust the lower bearing pillow block to prevent shaft binding, but I there is enough looseness in the mounting holes to slide it around. As a side benefit it may give you a bit more visual clearance for your tach depending where it's mounted.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
I was forced into the seat slider, since I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'4". I am raised up, and the top of my head peaks over the top of the windshield. I'm not licensed and on the road yet, though, so I don't know how it's going to feel from a driving standpoint. If I don't like it, I'll take it off and make her use a pillow or something.

Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
231 Posts
Is there a company that produces a lower profile seat adjuster than others? Or are they all very equal (Is there not one that can keep the seat very low to the floor boads)? Are there any that perform better than others?

Me 6'2" the other half 5'5" :D

·
Charter Member
103 Posts
Smack down (Bob) - I'm also interested in the Breeze seat angler and adjuster. I'm 6'3" but wanted my wife to be able to drive it as well.

Jon

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, that turned up some interesting info. Regarding "what's it like to be tall", let's see, when I was 12 I wore size 13 shoes, they were not available, it was a good day when the toes ripped out of my size 12 converse sneakers!!! Can't fit into Italian made exotic autos. Hit head repeatedly on various things,6'1" and 140 lbs. in school, labeled "geek", (not 140 lbs now though) :( Benefits; can see over most heads at concerts, airshows etc. Can see over the steering wheel of 70's vintage U.S. made tuna boats. Seriously though, I'm expecting my kit to show up mid-November and this is getting me up to speed on the build so I don't find too many surprises later. I built one of the first Van's Aircraft RV-8's and sometimes felt like a lab rat until builder information started showing up on a forum like this one. This site has a wealth of information that should make the build as straight forward as it could possibly be. Many thanks to all of you that are responding to my questions.........most likely will have a few more...............................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts