Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again folks! I have been going through the forum and reading up on things as much as I can

However I have come across some things that I may not be understanding very well.

For instance, wipers - I am gonna need them here in NY but I see they are not included in the kit.

Another thing appears to be the trunk support rod.

So, my question is this - Is there a list of ancillary items that I will need to get?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
803 Posts
wiper regulations differ from state to state. some don't prefer the look of the wipers and leave them off. I'm not planning on installing any on mine. if your state requires it and you aren't inclined to install them, you might be able to use a cheap clamp-on style marine wiper to pass state inspection.
that's really the only thing i can think of that would be required to clear inspection.
everything else is optional/personal preference, although some argue that wipers are a safety issue and highly recommend them.
there are certainly lots of opportunity for upgrades and the cost of the build can certainly climb if you allow it to.
one thing i've learned is that forum members love to help you spend your money. if you're interested in a budget build, the complete kit has most everything that you'll need.
oh, one more thing I just thought of...you might need to swap out your oil pan for shallower one depending on you drivetrain set up.

Reactions: ToddQ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are certainly lots of opportunity for upgrades and the cost of the build can certainly climb if you allow it to.

If you're interested in a budget build, the complete kit has most everything that you'll need.

Oh, one more thing I just thought of... you might need to swap out your oil pan for shallower one depending on your drivetrain set up.
Thanks for those bits! Yeah, because of how I plan on using the car I will get wipers.

I have also been comparing the complete kit to the basic kit. Since donor 'Stangs are hard to find, I just my go for a complete kit.

Yes! I looked into the oil pan. Looks like I won't need it as I am using an 87-89 5.0L donor engine.

·
Not a waxer
11,845 Posts
I've done cars for NY owners and the sate will accept a $20 clip on temporary wiper if all you want to do is make the inspector happy. Of course if you want electric wipers they are on option (and only minimally effective...but thats another topic). There are lots of state specific regs and "workarounds" for compliance---for example one of my New York customers learned that the acrylic sun visors would not pass because they are not padded but if you cut the toe out of an old sweat sock and slip it over the visor it is considered "padded" ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! Thanks Jeff! Since I am doing a minimal build, no visors or wings ;) But NY is why I want a 87-89 5.0L, it's exempt from emissions. And I can play with it a bit!

·
Not a waxer
11,845 Posts
Ha! Thanks Jeff! Since I am doing a minimal build, no visors or wings ;) But NY is why I want a 87-89 5.0L, it's exempt from emissions. And I can play with it a bit!

If you’re doing a minimal build you better quit thinking about a complete kit.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you’re doing a minimal build you better quit thinking about a complete kit.

Jeff
Doing some research and comparisons, I am not sure I can get everything for a basic kit. I am still playing with numbers.

Anyone know if one purchases a complete kit, could you get the cost lowered by not taking all the options?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Factory Five will credit you for anything you take out of the complete kit when you order. They are very easy to work with.
Higgy

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
You need to familiarize yourself with your local regulations. Wipers are commonly required and not included with either the base or complete kit. Washers and backup light(s) in the same category. Wind wings, visors, heater/defroster, passenger side roll bar are common options also not included. Basically go down the options list on the order form and you can see what's not included.

For the trunk, highly recommend the Factory Five optional trunk gas strut kit. It's not expensive and a recent redesign that works very well.

I suspect your donor oil pan will hang below the 4-inch frame tubes. Most OE pans are too deep. Depends on motor mounts. But if you use the complete kit supplied Energy Suspension mounts, the typical limit on the oil pan depth is 7.50 inches.

And just to clarify one point. While the base kit is often used with a donor, it doesn't have to automatically be the case. Many non-donor builds are done starting with base kits. I've done two non-donor builds that started life as base kits. Basically it just means you add parts to your order that aren't included, based on your requirements, and source the rest on your own. Many have done the math and found it's not really a cost savings. But does give choices if there are components you'd rather use compared to the complete kit.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,033 Posts
I am not sure you get a full discount for items you delete. They list the wiper kit at $499 in the parts department but I don't know if they knock $499 off of the complete kit price if you delete it.

Reactions: ToddQ

·
Not a waxer
11,845 Posts
I suspect your donor oil pan will hang below the 4-inch frame tubes. Most OE pans are too deep. Depends on motor mounts. But if you use the complete kit supplied Energy Suspension mounts, the typical limit on the oil pan depth is 7.50 inches.
Actually and FYI the double hump Mustang pan will be above the frame rails---barely--- with either type of OEM mounts (coupe or the lower convertible style) as well as the energy Suspension ones.

Yes, they will credit for deleted items but as Craig noted not full retail. By looking at it both ways for a couple of builds I've found that you'll usually be money ahead to take the unneeded parts and then sell them on the forums vs. taking a credit...a couple of examples being manual steering racks and Wilwood pedal boxes.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
As Jeff noted, the stock 5.0 oil pan works just fine, no clearance issue, also you can make your own trunk prop rod for $00.00

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Actually and FYI the double hump Mustang pan will be above the frame rails---barely--- with either type of OEM mounts (coupe or the lower convertible style) as well as the energy Suspension ones.
Jeff
As Jeff noted, the stock 5.0 oil pan works just fine, no clearance issue...
Good to know guys. Thanks. Not sure why, but my experience with my Mk3 build and a 306 with an OE pan required a lower profile pan. That was with the usual Energy Suspension mounts. Not sure how or why, but did change the pan to resolve. Ancient history at this point though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I deleted pretty much everything they would let me delete from the base kit in my order and it was only worth about $1k, with the more valuable things being what most builds wouldnt delete such as the windshield and seats. From a complete kit obviously there is a lot more you can delete but I wouldnt go in expecting to get down from $19,990 to $15k.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I built my MKII Roadster with windshield wipers, so lack of them would never be an impediment to having it state-inspected or registered. I don't want to use the wipers-ever, though, since I don't want to risk having them mark the windshield. The wipers are on their own fused circuit, so here's what I do for inspection time. I keep a spent fuse on that circuit at all times, except when I need to run them for inspection. for that, I have a working fuse available to slip in place, but I activate the wipers only once I have them locked in the up-position, that is, free of the windshield. That lets them visibly rock back and forth for both speeds. I operate that circuit using a dash-mounted toggle, and I don't want to accidentally turn the wipers on, hence the spent fuse. both the spent and the working fuses live together in the fuse panel. They're held together with a small cable tie. From experience, I know these wipers are pretty useless in the rain anyway because there's as much water running down the backside of the windshield as the front. There's a one-word solution: RainX.
Not all states require wipers on these vehicles, and that's probably why FF doesn't include them as part of the package, Massachusetts I believe does, but I didn't want to risk not having them. Looking ahead, not having wipers on the car could block a potential sale to someone from another state. Either that, or the buyer would need to retrofit something. That's a different problem altogether.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts