Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run a cigarette and USB plugs in my dash/ underdash area. Can I use any of the unused wires from the RF harness, like the radio power wire?

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Absolutely. Just make sure you don't exceed the amperage on the original fuse, & you'll be good to go.

John

·
Cross Menber
92 Posts
I actually came off of a new fuse just to run my cigarette lighter socket and my USB adapter.
I have a small air compressor to air up my tires if needed, so I used a 15 amp fuse.

I picked up a USB that wires in behind the dash, it gives me 3 amps for 2 plugs. The ends are lose, so I just tuck them up under the dash. I can pull it out to use.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Radio power will only be hot when the key is on; if you want the plugs to be energized even when the key is off use the radio memory wire.

Jeff
Thanks, will likely use the radio power over the radio memory to prevent parasitic loss

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,711 Posts
How many amps is the radio power fuse. I think most lighters are on a 10-15A fuse w/ the appropriate wire size.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ran a second wire from the battery to the dash and have a relay from the ignition for all of the "other" items. I have a 40amp replay (and fuse) for the radio, seat heaters and the USB port. These are all items I want to turn off with the key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts