Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my brain was not working last night. Is there an easy way to get the accessory belt on? I lifted the tensioner with a socket/breaker bar but the belt just wouldn't go on. Is this a 2-man job? I have the same set-up as John Baker (no air pump but running power steering). I'm using the 73" belt that he shows on his website also.

thanks,
Chris

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
If the belt's the right length, the breaker bar to lift the tensioner ALLLL the way up should do it. Route the belt on everything else and then pull it a bit tight while pushing the breaker bar down to lift the tensioner all the way up. It still might be a little tight, but not so much so that you can't do it yourself.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack,
I tried that. The tensioner was not touching the belt. The belt would not fit over the lip of the last pulley....Maybe one of my drive pulleys is a tad bigger than John's....Will give it another shot tonight.

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chris,

When they say you have to lift the tensioner all the way up - they mean it! The belt broke in my Mustang on the freeway and I coasted (barely) off and onto a side street. After a friend picked me up and took me to the parts store, I was back and trying to put it on. Let's just say that I was actually standing/crouching in the engine bay on the grill area!! I started with my ratchet pointing towards about 4 o'clock, and was finally able to get the belt on with the ratchet pointing at around 10 o'clock. It's a beast. Just grunt alot and yell, you'll eventually get it :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts