Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going over the pedal assembly one last time before buttoning up the top of the driver side footbox and ran into the following problem that I haven't figured out how to correct.
I want to have the accelerator, brake, and clutch at approximately the same height.
I noticed that the cable would not pull the accelerator pedal back up to the right height. It stays well below the others.
It also will not allow the pedal to completely open the throttle plate before it bottoms out.
It’s almost like I need to shorten the throttle cable or have an adjuster like I have on the clutch cable.
I’ve run some searches but haven’t found any on this problem.
Has anyone else had this problem and have any fixes?
BTW, this is on a MKII.
Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Are you running carb or EFI?
On the carb version you can unscrew the piece the mounts to the carb and cut the cable. Not sure about EFI tho.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It is really better to have the gas pedal lower than the other two. It should be about even with the brake pedal when the brake is pushed down so that you can heel toe the gas and brake at the same time. If you are using the donor gas pedal, I think the manual says something about bending the stop if it isn't opening up all the way. I just converted mine to the Russ Thomoson gas pedal last night and really like it. It does have some adjustment and is not as touchy as the stocker.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Here's a pic of my pedals:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VirtualLife;
It's EFI.

Doug;
I understand what you mean about positioning it for heel and toeing but it still needs to be positioned higher. I've heard a lot of good about the Russ Thompson unit but I'd like to avoid another $100 on the budget right now. Trying to get the doner setup to work.

I just figured some folks had had the same problem as I am.

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Larry - Where the cable housing (outer shield) connects to the bracket at the throttle body - you need to space that cable shield out away from the bracket a little ways to take up some slack - this will raise your throttle pedal. You can usually use washers to do the spacing.

You can also accomplish the same thing by pulling the cable back out of the little button that clips into the end of the throttle pedal arm. When you pull the cable out a little ways you can put a Zip-Tie around the cable to effectively lengthen the housing.

DOn't know if any of this makes any sense.. It's been a long long day...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Maybe you could put some spacers between the frame and the pedal mount. It shouldn't take too much. Just a thought.

Edit-Big-Foot types faster than me. I think all three suggetions would work. His actually sound better than mine.

[ January 25, 2007, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Doug S ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas, Randy and Doug.
I think that all the ideas will work.
Will probably use a combination of a couple of them. A small cable crimp on the pedal end of the cable and some fender washers to space the pedal assembly itself up a little.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts