Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing an home made wire diet on a 97 conv GT harness. It was installed complete and the car starts and run (1st go kart last Friday)

Took out the obvious power stuff: seats, windows, door locks all the way to the keyless entry module. It still has a lot of wires going to it, so first question is if I will be able to take it out (there is also an antitheft module to it)?

Next today is the power roof, heater, seat belt anf door close warning circuits.

I note the 2 AC sensors in the engine compartment are wired to the PCM, so swcond question: is it safe to take those out?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Everything you mentioned can go away if your not using it. Everyone I deal with gets rid of the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) but you have to disable it in the PCM with either a aftermarket programmer or aftermarket chip (I use a DiabloSport chip). If your not using emissions you will also at the same time want to disable a number of emissions related items (contact me through WIREDIET.com for further details).

Art

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Art, I know you're the diet expert!

Not being a paying customer and all I'm not sure it was fair to sollicit your help for free.

I decided early on that I wasn't going to launch myself into dieting (didn't have the knowledge and knowhow, was already quite overwhelmed with the whole build and didn't think I could afford to farm it out externally - being from Canada compounds the delays and costs, plus of course the almighty risk of a no start).

Now that I started and gokarted, an before putting the body on, there seems to be a few obvious circuits that can go if I invest a few days work.

I don't mind the PATS, I plan to have the key hidden and removable, a cheap antitheft, if you wish.

What concerns me is any circuit that touches CCRM, PCM and computer to avoid flashing... But I will contact you on the benefits of flashing.

So in a way my question is what are the circuits that can go and don't require reflashing? Or if simpler (if fewer) what circuits require flashing?

-W

·
Registered
228 Posts
OK, your keeping PATS so you don't need to flash it out. When it gets right down to it the only other things that get flashed out are emissions related. If your not retaining emissions and you don't flash them out the engine will still run but the PCM will set the related codes. If your wiring in the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light / Check Engine Light) it will light up. Periodically check to see if the codes set are in deed emissions related and just ignore them, builders I've known who have gone this path or don't use the MIL just pay attention to how the engine runs and if they sense a problem they run a Trouble Code scanner to see which OTHER codes are set and proceed with diagnostics. I highly recommend that ALL 4.6 builders invest in at least a basic inexpensive OBD II Trouble Code scanner available at most of the big chain Auto Parts stores. As far as the CCRM goes it's not going to cause any trouble flashing wise.

I've worked with quite a few Canadian builders (I have 2 I'm doing right now) and I know the difficulties in working at such long out of the country distances.

Thanks for the compliment. It was a good mentor (Roger Stine) and experience over the years that have allowed me to develope the skill sets I have to do 'dieting' effectively.

Art

·
Registered
228 Posts
Haven't had much to do with AC over the years but as you read above Rich A has done it and it works - in my mind that makes him a voice to listen to on this one - but I've heard the same from others. Richard Oben at North Racecars supplies these units to most I believe and he would be another one to consult.

Art

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your wiring in the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light / Check Engine Light) it will light up. Periodically check to see if the codes set are in deed emissions related and just ignore them, builders I've known who have gone this path or don't use the MIL just pay attention to how the engine runs and if they sense a problem they run a Trouble Code scanner to see which OTHER codes are set and proceed with diagnostics. I highly recommend that ALL 4.6 builders invest in at least a basic inexpensive OBD II Trouble Code scanner available at most of the big chain Auto Parts stores.

Forget autoparts stores! For 12.95, shipping included, I bought on eBay a bluetooth OBD2 reader and anther 5$ downloaded the Torque app on my Android phone. Get instant code reading and data from all ECU driven sensors!!!!! Plus gps linked trip nformation... Works awesome (delivery 3 weeks).

-Wormie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.