Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article in the Hartford Courant today about AC Cars LTD. of England negotiating for site in Bridgeport, Ct. for factory. Say they want to build high-end vehicles ranging from the mid-five figures into the six figures. Check it out at Courant.com. Type in "AC cars" in search and scroll down half page to "Pricey Sports Cars may be coming to Ct."
Watch out Factory Five!

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
It almost sounds like another Superformance to me. I am sure Factory Five won't feel a thing, but Superformance, or maybe ERA right in CT might.

[ June 15, 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Steve K ]

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
At the price their asking, FFR (or Superformance, Shelby, etc for that matter) has nothing to worry about.

Pete

·
3,760 Posts
Dear Dreamers and Hallucinators of the AC Motor Car Co. --

Sorry, but the new cars stand a zero chance of selling at their prices here, in my humble opinion. For one thing, the drawings in AutoWeek last week looked terrible. Replacing the vintage-style headlights with slope-backed cross-eyed lights (which look suspiciously similar to the recent restyling of that other classic British POS, the Morgan) isn't going to bring the yank hordes stampeding into your showrooms like a herd of buffalo, O.K.?

Half the car the FFR is at triple the price? More money than a Superformance? Competing in the Corvette Z06 price range? More expensive than a Boxster (by a long shot)? About the same as the new Porsche Cayman?

"Waiter, I'll have some of whatever they've been having."

I've been to your lovely city in the Southwest of Merry Ol' England and never had a better flounder. Seriously. Fantastic. Oops, wait a minute, you guys moved OUT of England, right? Something about financial problems that made it easier to move to, where was that again, the isle of Malta?

I'm sure you'll find American banks stumbling over themselves to dump trucks (uh, boats?) full of money into an automotive venture that can only survive on an edgy-brink-of-third-world-anything-goes-watch-yourself island like Malta, right?

Ah, but the best is yet to come. Wait till you meet the lawyers (I think you call them solicitors) that work with the good great-grandson of Henry Ford. Now those boys and girls know Cobras, they know AC's, and they know a stolen design when they see it. I believe they'll be waiting when the first MKIV rolls off the line up in the great Commonwealth of Connecticut. They won't be bringing the bubbly, either, far from it. They'll be bringing a piece of paper we call a 'subpeona' to appear before what we call a 'judge' in a building we call a 'court'. (You probably don't have those things on Malta, who knows. If you do have them, they work differently here. Leave your bags full of money for the judge at home, that doesn't work here, at least outside New Jersey.) And they'll be doing that because the sketch of the MKIV in AutoWeek looks like a design freshman simply copied FoMoCo's new Cobra concept, shown last year at virtually every major auto show across the planet. Did you happen to catch that, or are we finding cross-border travel difficult these days? Said FoMoCo concept, by the bye, was backed by a guy you may have heard of at some point, one Carroll Shelby. Or Ol' Shel, as we like to call him here.

Anyway, wish you luck. Look, don't walk around the streets of Malta at night without a big stick, O.K.? And don't bring a Cobra-related automotive failure to these shores. It insults the venerable history of your company. The history that got built before any of you took over and moved the company to Malta.

If you had ever tasted the flounder, you would have fixed that pesky money thing and stayed in Bristol.

Sincerely,
The Scrutineer

·
FFCobra Fanatic
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was it the coffee or has he been glueing in the dash. I don't know if the AC people are reading this but it sure scared the s*** ot of me.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Why worry about a company that built something a 1/2century ago? They SOLD the jigs/molds to Kirkham IIRC and shipped to a Polish MiG factory.

I don't think they're going to go and build any kind of Daytona Coupe or AC Bristol. Safety and emissions laws will pretty much keep them from EVER building something that FFR has to offer if they are comming into the states to produce even a limited ediition production car. I'm not even giving it a 2nd thought much less a glance.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Well....there must be something to be said for owning THE Original.... They alledgedly have $5,000,000 in backing to get the enterprise running here in the USA. They already have US Distributors lined up. CA Cobra here in San Diego will be one of them. I've seen the pictures and brochures. Some fine looking cars IMHO. (no not the drawings referred to above). I think they may not use the "Cobra" name, but I'll bet they still sell some cars. Time will tell.

OH, and AJ.. don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! :D

·
Non-Traditionalist (I'm not a purist, just look at
3,008 Posts
can someone post a pic of the drawing that was in autoweek?

·
Registered
984 Posts
What FFR sells is not just a car, you all know that. It is so much more. It's the build and the relitive ease of the build, the community, the race series, the customization aspect, the price point, and the car, the feeling when you drive it, the nostalgia... that is a lot. And no other company on the planet has that combination.

AC can build their cars here too. And I agree with Ken, they are nice lookin cars. There is a lot of room for competition in our ever growing automotive market, and I don't think that FFR really has too much to worry about.

AJ, loved your rant!!!

:D

Clutch

·
Senior Charter Member
573 Posts
Any manufacture of quality is good for this industry/sport. AC was first (AC Cobra) and became known to us 'Yanks' because Carole Shelby and a bunch of clever builders/racers stuffed a great engine into a reseptive engine bay. I would be hesitant to bad mouth any quality endevor (especially if it is the father of what you now enjoy so much) that helps all of us in the long run. AC, despite some cash problems in the past, might even help in the nation wide registration mess we all incounter when the build is done. I wish them the best of luck.
RB

·
6,559 Posts

I'll take a Mamba please, black on black!

I wish them the best.

·
3,008 Posts
I want a Mamba Too!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Keep in mind that the present AC is not the company that originally built the AC cars that became the Cobra of Carroll Shelby's dreams. The company has changed hands several times in the last few years and the new owners haven't exactly graced the company's reputation in a positive way.

If you read the article linked above, you notice at least two references in the article to "financial problems" forcing them to move their operations to Malta. Has anyone asked why this happened and what happened to the company in the UK that was left behind?

There have been some glaring irregularities in their business since change of ownership as described by several knowledgable people on Clubcobra.com. I'm thinking this is a case of another smooth talker and politicians looking to raise their status by bringing in "good paying jobs" to their constituents without looking beyond the surface. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but I could be wrong, it's happened before (once)

Much as I hate to say it,I really like the Mark VI model. However, in all of their cars I honestly believe their pricelines are way too optimistic. Time will tell.

·
3,008 Posts
I want a Mamba Too!

·
8,350 Posts
I vote Mamba, but what's the butt look like? Anyway, splash in the pan; gone in 3 years; its a tax deal or write-off....gotta be. But, you guys in Connecticut keep us all posted, eh?

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Connecticut made a super deal with AC. It's very similar to the Delorean/Northen Ireland arrangement, and we all know how successful that was.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts