Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed a number of brackets, dash end plates and interior parts that could be made with ABS plastic. ABS is fluid at around 225C, so there are limits to its application close to high temp sources in the engine bay, transmission and brakes (but I was going to try ABS sensor brackets and see how it went).

I have an ABS printer (Makerbot Replicator) and am happy to print parts for a (time permitting, it usually takes several hours per piece..!) and develop a catalog of one off or reusable designs for the Coupe.. :).

I use Sketch Up for 3D designs and mods. Its a free download. Or if you have some experience in this area, the build files are in .stl format. STL files are only editable with much more expensive software.

The Replicator build platform is about 210*120*150mm high so break down parts to fit these parameter.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
974 Posts
That is extremely kind of you.

Do you have the soluble support material?

ABS makes an excellent lost material core for casting processes as well, and the makerbot's .002" resolution makes it ideal for making such cores, since a brief acetone bath smoothes the surface without losing detail.

I will definitely keep this in mind because our dimension sst1200 is decrepit at best, and has very poor layer resolution of .01".

Do you charge?

-Clam

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Clam,

Hadnt though about the ABS as a sacrificial material, but hey, that opens up another world of possibilities.

Am not intending to charge for 1 off's with the exception of material cost and postage. Multiple items (ie for resale) would be costed, and in any event they would be far easier source a 3D printing provider in the US. Its mostly machine time you pay for.. and for me this isnt a significant issue.. :)

I can certainly assist with mods or design updates via transfer of the .SKU files.

I thought I would be good to have a library somewhere for everyone to access.

Have a good one.. :)

Chris

·
ROOKIE!
1,385 Posts
This is really cool. Post picks of the things you come up with!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is extremely kind of you.

Do you have the soluble support material?

ABS makes an excellent lost material core for casting processes as well, and the makerbot's .002" resolution makes it ideal for making such cores, since a brief acetone bath smoothes the surface without losing detail.

I will definitely keep this in mind because our dimension sst1200 is decrepit at best, and has very poor layer resolution of .01".

Do you charge?

-Clam
hi Clam..

Had a chat with a couple of people locally. I had been using ABS plastic for my parts. There is a second type called PLA, which is 'soluble' when used in a lost wax type casting method.. :). "Support" and raft material is easily detachable from the main part of the print and may required a scrape with a hobby knife or a quick sand to smooth over.. :)

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
974 Posts
The reason we used to use ABS versus wax or PLA for a sacrificial material is because they are both very brittle, and we had problems removing them from the build plate when using smaller gates/runners. ABS is very ductile.

We used to have an old wax jet that could also handle PLA. the resolution was pretty good, but it stopped working and the machine is 15 years old so there is no support anymore.

When doing larger parts, PLA is better because it prints faster and melts at much lower temperatures, allowing you to simultaneously melt the material and dry plaster/gypsum molds without cracking them from thermal shock.

But alas, my shop is no more. No more fun with molten metal for me. It's down to finishing the car by hand :weight_lift:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts