Factory Five Racing Forum banner

About to buy Crate motor need advice

769 views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Dr Stebo 
#1 ·
I'm about to buy a Ford Crate motor from Max. Either a 302 with 340 HP 310 lb torgue and an E303 cam or
a 302 with 345 HP 305 lbs of torgue and a B303 cam. Which do I want and why. What is the difference between the B and the E cam? This will be an around town car.
Thanks,
Todd

#2 ·
Todd
These engines only differ in the cam used. I took the following information off Fords web site to help you decide.
>
Ford Racing hydraulic roller camshaft M-6250-B303 which provides significant horsepower increases above 4000 RPM and good low-end torque. Valve lift is .480" on both intake and exhaust. Duration at .050" is 224 degrees on both intake and exhaust
>
Ford Racing hydraulic roller camshaft M-6250-E303 which provides significant horsepower increases above 2500 RPM and good low-end torque. Valve lift is .498" on both intake and exhaust. Duration at .050" is 220 degrees on both intake and exhaust
>
You did not state what you intend to do with your car ie(race,cruze,drag) but most people want to cruze around and enjoy the car. If that is your intention then I would go with the E303 cam setup. This will give you a nice punchy feel a little ove idle for good power yet it will keep it driveable. I know others will chime in but I feel the E303 cam is best out of the two choices for these cars.
HTH Jon D.

#3 ·
I always put a E cam in a automatic. Being it provides a little more torque for the sluggo auto.

Likewise a B for a manual.

Ofcourse most of the talk is with a 3500 lb car too.

So losing a little low end on a 2000 lb car is not such a big deal.

O-yeah, then comes a F. Your ultimate upper RPM cam.

#5 ·
Todd - I had the b-cam in my last FFR. The only reason I can see for using it instead of the e-cam is that it sounds REALLY mean. You definitely turn heads when you pull into a parking lot. The downside is that you need delicate clutch and throttle coordination at low rpm to keep it from bucking. The e-cam should give you better driveablility for an "around town" car and the difference in power is nil. - Frank

#6 ·
I have the FMS e-cam. It idles with a slight lope at 850 and pulls from 1100 rpm in 3 and 4th withought bucking. I've seen engine reports that compared the e and b and the e had a bigger average power output (area under the curve) and much better power below 2500 rpm. I'm very happy with my decision.

Greg

#10 ·
I like the x cam put it in 4* advanced (2*at the crank) fits with stock 87-93 pistons and 1.6 rockers makes reaaly good power. More is better especially with a carb.Check your desktop dyno most all carb combo's want more head and more cam. efi likes more head and a little less cam. I might be crazy but the shrink says no Bob

#11 ·
Todd,
I bought my 302 crate engine from Max. I went with the e cam as other say its cruiser friendly and also read that it's supercharger friendly too should you decide to go that route. Max is great to deal with.

#14 ·
What cam comes in the standard 94 5.0? If I were to change to AFR or Trick Flow heads should I upgrade this standard cam to one of the above? This will be for my 67 mustang fastback restomod. thanks; chuck

#15 ·
Mine is a B cam. It helps give thar special sound at idle. Haven't realy noticed any difficulty slow cruisin in first or second. Wasn't my choice since I bought the car that way. If I were to do it over again I may consider the 347 although the 302 is more than adequate for street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.