Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wiring all day and just about finished with the engine compartment but have a few questions..... Starting day is getting closer :D

1 I have a pink wire labeled Ignition/Feed, where to connect it?

2 Have a brown wire labeled Alternator/ignition, assuming it goes to + side of coil, correct?

3 A yellow wire is shown on the "online" alternator wiring drawing from the rectifier side to the "A" on regulator side. This means the "big red" feed is split in thirds? What is the purpose of the wire? Do i need it and if so what gauge wire to use?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
I'm nearly at the same point so I'll be watching this thread. I do have the Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI which has its own engine harness, though. What type of coil do you have?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
The pink wire provides 12v to your ignition. It is the switched line form the ignition switch. I Connect it to the 12v input on the HEI module.

The brown wire goes to the (I) terminal of the alternator. Add the 500 ohm resistor as I replied in your alternator thread.

The 2 black and orange wires get tied together and provide current to charge your battery. Attach to the fusable link. Each wire by itself is too small to handle the amperage by itself. The (A) wire is the voltage sense. 18 gage wire is fine. It reads the voltage and sends it to the voltage regulator. I connect it to the other side of the fusable link. The closer to the battery, the better the voltage regulation. It doesn't really carry much current to speak of. You absolutely must connect all 3 wires.

Finally, these connectors are the weak point in the charging system. Buy new ones at NAPA, Autozone or any aut parts store. At least one FFR has burned due to these connectors.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Just got done with the Chilton's manual. If you don't use a charging light, use a 420 ohm resistor instead of the 500 ohm.

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch Jerry, your help and the link you provided last night got me this far, now I can complete with some assurance of success. I bought the 500 ohm resistors today, but had to buy the option for two. Not a big deal as it was a buck for four. Will exchange them tomorrow. Can't figure out why I need a charging light as I have a gauge to tell me if all is working corectly. Thanks aagain, if you were a little closer I'd buy you a beer or two for sure!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts