Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a 3 wire alternator, and the American autowire harnes. On the back of the alternator, I have connected the red battery wire, the brown ignition wire, and grounded the alternator. My alternator is not internally regulated so I am trying to figure out how to wire in an external regulator.

The regulator has four conectors: I, A, S, F,. I am not sure where these four terminals get connected, I have traced the wires, and this is my guess: "I"=dash light, "A"=battery+ on starter relay, "S"=Ignition to the brown AAW wire, and "F"=ground to the alt ground.

But since I rather not guess, can someone please verify how to connect the regulator.

Thanks

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Check this out.
3G Wiring
I think it will show you what you need. I don't think the "S" wire is needed unless you are going to have a warning light on the dash. I am not sure about your "F" connection.
You will have to get the plug in portion at an auto parts store or a salvage yard. Just splice it into your AA harness.
Do a search on 3G alternators. You will find a lot of info.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Your first two are correct. The "S" terminal of the regulator connects to the stator terminal of the alternator. The "F" terminal of the regulator connects to the field terminal of the alternator. The alternator and regulator are both grounded through their respective housings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.