Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to rebuilding the trak lok on my 8.8 differential for the IRS. Most things went along pretty well (although friction modifier really stinks!).

But trying to get the two pinion gears in is maddening. I can get one in, but not the other. It seems like some kind of weird puzzle. Does anyone have some tips on the "secret method"?

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,450 Posts
P/R
Get them heading in from opposite sides as even as you can and they will roll in. Make sure the spherical bearings/shims are on the spiders themselves. A little grease will make them stay. They will go in. Surprisingly they will go pretty easy. The hardest part is getting the S spring in but that will go too with a well placed whack with a piece of hardwood or plastic. Patience will prevail.
It can be done. You can do it.
Keep us posted.

·
Charter Member
1,004 Posts
Podus - do you mean the two spider gears?

Hopefully, you didn't throw away the old steels and friction plates - the two "stacks" with the tabs that came out of either side of the trak lok housing. What you want to do is use a micrometer and measure their overall length. Use the shims that came with the rebuild kit to match the overall length of the old steels/friction plates plus a wee bit extra. They should rotate into the housing nicely with a little help from a rubber-ended BFH.

Just wait until you try and install the S spring - then you'll really be complaining!

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I know I'll win this battle...I just didn't expect the gears to be the problem...I expected the spring to be my nemesis!

Paddles, I didn't throw away the old ones, so your idea is a good one. I'll try that, and your suggestion to , stremboli.

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Podus, I had this EXACT problem 2 weeks ago. Yes, the gears must be 180 degrees apart from each other, but here's the trick. You can't feed the gears in flat along the housing, they have to be fully engaged with the 2 side gears or else you get gear clash and they won't rotate! One other thing, the hose clamp around the S-spring worked like a charm.
Hope this helps.
Matt

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Guys,

I found a great web site, with pictures on how to rebuild your rear end. It has all the information you need to do the whole job including the Pinion Gear installation. There a few popups, but once you get past them the information is great.

Good Luck

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech001.htm

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to give it a try after work today, using your suggestions. I'll let you know what happens!

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed. I think the hardest part was holding the axle gears in place while inserting the pinion (spider) gears, and then trying to turn the thing while covered in friction modifier!

It worked, I'm happy to say. I found out that if you have too thick a shim, then the gears can't quite work themselves into the fixture since they are curved, and they have to fit into the inner curved wall of the housing (if that makes sense).

Thanks everyone. I ended up using the .035" shims of the largest size (.045"). Now it is on to the (in)famous spring!

·
Charter Member
138 Posts
I actually found the spring to be quite easy. I just held it in place and give it a sharp rap with a rubber mallet. This got it started. After that I knocked it into position using a brass punch.

·
We don't need no stinkin stitches
1,450 Posts
I knew you could do it :D
The rest is easy, force with precision, pretty much the rest of the build.
Have more fun and bleed as little as possible.
Jack

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I'm beginning to realize that every single thing I do on this car, I do three times. But it does get done, eventually...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts