Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lurked on here for a long time but never posted much, figured it's time I contribute some. For years I've wanted an FFR (I requested an info pack back in 04) but the desire got really strong a few years ago, then Ford v. Ferrari came out. I scoured the net, with my goal being to find an older, probably donor build, with a 5.0 that was a driver that maybe needed some maintenance and cosmetic attention. You know, the cars you used to see in the high teens/low 20's in a pre-covid world. I had a few cars that I just missed out on, either because someone beat me to the punch, or because I was just too cheap to pull the trigger. Finally I stumbled across this thread:

There was virtually no discussion on the car but also had no indication that the car was sold. The seller was pretty slow to respond but when he did I got a lot of details on the car and he seemed like a pretty honest guy, and the car was pretty close to meeting my goals, and definitely in my price range. Being Thanksgiving week it posed a few challenges, but the seller worked with me to overcome those and Thanksgiving day I picked up a U-Haul trailer, went to Thanksgiving dinner with family, and hit the road from VA to OH. The next day I met with the seller, went for a mildly terrifying test ride, signed some docs and loaded her on the trailer.

I couldn't be happier. The car is really solid, had a ton of good options, and was almost driveable as it was, meaning I could get to enjoying it quicker. Would I have rather built it myself? Yes. But with my current family situation it would take me years to drive it, and I'm not that patient. Couple that with the fact that when I called FFR it was a serious wait, with multiple backordered parts, and no discounts/sales going on, and it was a no-brainer.

So far I've installed a T5 (more on that in the next post), done some fiddling/finishing to make it more driveable, and driven it regularly this summer. Started out with short little trips to shake out the bugs and worked up to longer trips, but still managed to rack up almost 1500 trouble-free miles. Original plan for this winter was to strip off the body and do the body work/paint, but other events may push that out to next year.

So to do better about sharing my projects I also started trying in earnest to do regular YouTube videos. Check it out and like/subscribe.

To be continued.............

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,464 Posts
Hah! I'll see your cheap, and raise you many cheaps!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The previous owner had nearly $40k of receipts including the kit and all its options. One thing he splurged for was an FF Metal battery box. While this is pretty cool, the Red Top inside was not (I'm a firm believer that Optimas are NOT anywhere near the quality battery they used to be). The downside of this battery box is that it seems virtually impossible to extract a battery from it once installed. I fought for quite some time before I managed to pry one edge up and then was able to snake a ratchet strap underneath. Attaching each end to the roll bar mounts allowed me to ratchet it up and get the battery up high enough that I could grab it and maneuver it out.

Before Installing the new battery I hole-sawed a 1.5" hole in the bottom of the box, so that next time this happens I can use a pipe/pole and a floor jack to push straight up from the bottom.

Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive battery

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
HAH. Love it. I saw your video's a very long time ago as you were starting the process. I was doing basically the same thing. Wife told me yes you can buy one but the budget is $35k max. I was... oooff. Ok I can work with that. Building one wasn't an option as I only have a 1 car garage and it is a very small 1 car garage. Perfect for parking the Cobra but not at all for building one. I also know myself well enough that while I love working on cars and rebuilding things, doing one from start to finish over a couple of years, just 100% would never happen. I searched off and on for about a year in a half. Lots of BAT auctions and this forum and the FF forums. Then I started wondering, just how much would one of the "pro" builders charge me to build one. Was thinking, very basic kit, no paint as I could do that later. Just how stripped down could I get one built. So I started calling the builders off the FF site. Turned out one of the builders had just gotten a MK3 Challenge car from Carl Thompson and was about to list it for sale. I asked how much! After some fiddling with numbers and me wanting to make the car street legal we agreed upon a price and I'm now the proud new owner. I was a brave new soul too. I took the train to Pennsylvania to pick up the car and drove it all the home to New Hampshire for it's maiden voyage. My first real drive in an FF Cobra was 10+ hrs straight! A testament to how well built the car is! I've since logged over 2000 miles in the last 3 months. This car is a driver! Not a garage queen :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAH. Love it. I saw your video's a very long time ago as you were starting the process. I was doing basically the same thing. Wife told me yes you can buy one but the budget is $35k max. I was... oooff. Ok I can work with that. Building one wasn't an option as I only have a 1 car garage and it is a very small 1 car garage. Perfect for parking the Cobra but not at all for building one. I also know myself well enough that while I love working on cars and rebuilding things, doing one from start to finish over a couple of years, just 100% would never happen. I searched off and on for about a year in a half. Lots of BAT auctions and this forum and the FF forums. Then I started wondering, just how much would one of the "pro" builders charge me to build one. Was thinking, very basic kit, no paint as I could do that later. Just how stripped down could I get one built. So I started calling the builders off the FF site. Turned out one of the builders had just gotten a MK3 Challenge car from Carl Thompson and was about to list it for sale. I asked how much! After some fiddling with numbers and me wanting to make the car street legal we agreed upon a price and I'm now the proud new owner. I was a brave new soul too. I took the train to Pennsylvania to pick up the car and drove it all the home to New Hampshire for it's maiden voyage. My first real drive in an FF Cobra was 10+ hrs straight! A testament to how well built the car is! I've since logged over 2000 miles in the last 3 months. This car is a driver! Not a garage queen :)
That's awesome! I was really hoping to find a challenge car actually since I'd like to get the cobra on track and would welcome the extra safety/rigidity of the Challenge. I just missed out on one nearby, even went to look at it but the seller and I couldn't come to an agreement. I relented but it was too late. Congrats on your purchase!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's awesome! I was really hoping to find a challenge car actually since I'd like to get the cobra on track and would welcome the extra safety/rigidity of the Challenge. I just missed out on one nearby, even went to look at it but the seller and I couldn't come to an agreement. I relented but it was too late. Congrats on your purchase!!!
Ya pre-kids I was fairly active in autocross and SCCA. I started with a 1966 GT350 Shelby Mustang, after that was a VW Corrado VR6, then lastly a BMW E39 M5. I met my wife at the race track. She was driving a BMW M Roadster with a Dinan Stage II. We just clicked. Few years later, married and once the first kid was on the way we sold the M-Roadster. Few years after that I sold the M5 to a guy who now races it in One Lap of America. We now have 2 kids a Mazda CX9 and a Chevy Volt... Not exactly what I'd call fun cars.. My 2 boys, one is almost 15 the other is 11. I've been really wanting to get back into SCCA and the Cobra has been a dream car of mine since before I could drive. Now that are kids are older it worked out. My 2 boys love helping work on the car and I just got my 15 year old a helmet so he can be a co-pilot. We'll see what happens when my wife, my sons and I all want to drive the Cobra at SCCA events.

·
Junior Charter Member
883 Posts
Awesome story!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You got yourself quite a bargain, glad it worked out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts