Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all forum members:
I'd like to start a poll on what you consider the most difficult part of your F5 build.
I think two(3) camps would be appropriate, one that is a donor build(EFI) and one that is a carburetor build and another that is all new non-donor state of the art stuff.
Of course there are probably a lot of variations of who used what and wether or not they use FMS, Mass-Flo,Holley Barry Grant,or any other induction systems ,but I think an obvious constant would come to light.
I would like to start by saying that an all new EFI harness from FMS with a painless chassis harness and a high output alternator would tax any electrical guru.
I know it took me 4 months to resolve and engineers at Painless Performance agreed they had the wrong schematic on their web site showing the wiring for a 3G and higher output alternators (page10).
I want to start and say that using this combination has led me to a 4 month nightmare of bad wiring information from all parties involved.
Putting all this aside... what is the hardest part of your build????
Mechanical ...Electrical...Cosmetic
I think everyone would really like everyone's viewpoint on their build.
Let's hear from you, again state if you are EFI donor or carburetor build or whatever stalled your build for whatever the reason was.
I'm really looking forward to these replies!!
Paul M.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Electrical by far. I used the donor harness and did my own diet. Finally had to get some help from a wiring guru, who put the major wires together to get it running, and then I did the rest. Everythilng else was straight forward. Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
MarkII, donor build. EFI (stock) moving to Mass-Flo.
Wiring was definately the part of the build that slowed me up the most. I even had the wiring professionally dieted. With all of the "goodies" I added, setting up the wiring so that it was reasonably discreet was a challenge. I still have some niggling wiring gremlins to address. After that, it was those damn door latches!!

I did some of the body work and determined that it was over my head. Certainly up there in high-difficulty without the necessary expereince, time, and patience.

Easiest: riveting (very theraputic)
Most Fun: Engine build

Marc

[ December 05, 2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Marc ]

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I'm a most non-donor build and carburated.

I found drilling/riveting the hardest. I broke bits, bought all manner of drill bit materials. Not having enough height off the ground, I found drilling some of the steel under the car to be espcially challenging... used a 4' bar to pry my drill UP into the 2x2 under the car on a few occasions. Getting aluminum all over myself and my face, stepping on metal bits accidentally with my bare feet, panels not lining up exactly.

Body was a breeze: sent it to SRP
Electrical was actually quite easy with the I-Squared system.
Brake Lines were initially hard until HankL helped educate me. Then it was all done in a couple of days.
Engine wasn't hard becuase I took about 8 months to build it... that was intentional. (Didn't have all the money up front so I bought parts as I had money for them.)

But I'm with Cobraless: that wallet of mine could echo it was so empty!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd have to say the my donor wiring diet was the single most time consuming task for my build. It was complicated by a 1988 Donor with a 199x EFI wiring harness. I'll never know how it got to that condition. It is one of the risks of going the donor route.

I made the problem more complicated by working from a 1989 wiring book (not an 1988 book)which was close but had some subtle differences. That problem was my fault. I just ordered the wrong book and did not realize it until well into the diet.

However, they are just wires and with a good wiring diagram and a big board to lay out the wiring harness the job was managable. Patience is an part of the diet process. Not something to rush.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
774 Posts
No problems with the electrical, I actually enjoyed doing the wiring. I think the hardest part of the build was putting the engine/trans in all on my own, twice! The hardest part overall was the day I sold the car. I hope to build another when I am finished with my new home.
Sean

·
craftsman
314 Posts
Body work by far.It did take the most time, lots of sanding.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting first replies :
I totally agree with the "wiring reasonably discreet as a challenge" ,that's what took me the most amount of time.
Drilling and riveting to me were the easiest and almost "therepautic" why..it's like when you put up a 4x8 sheet of drywall .. you've just covered 32 square feet in the houseyou're building and progress moves so quickly(except for the cockpit on a F5,nobody really knows how they fit the small ears on the corners of the cockpit on a MK11)
To me the easiest was actually lowering the engine and transmision into the car...could do it it in my sleep, (and I don't sleep that well ).
let's hear from more of you...this is awesome!
By far to me the mechanicals were the easiest.
Paul M.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The hardest part of a build? Getting used to the idea that nothing will fit without modification and a lot of thought. A buddy of mine is finishing a Series 2 Lotus Seven (yep, an original that's never been on the road before) and he's always been on about how nothing fits. Once in that frame of mind, the build becomes a succession of opportunities to be clever. It just takes three times the thought and three times as long as a restoration or bolt-on modification. Praise be to Carroll Smith's fasteners handbook!

Of course, I haven't started on the body work yet. The fit of the trunk lid and hood are atrocious-- I'm sorry, I should say rather "they're just the next challenge."

·
craftsman
314 Posts
Cannonball

I agree, the mechanicals were the easiest; although I did order my engine from the engine factory.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
The electrical wiring gave me the most fits. I understand basic wiring and circuitry. But wiring the whole car was a challange for me. I think the biggest problem was that the Painless harness came with a set of written instructions and a few pictures, but no schematic. That would have helped me a lot.

I also had trouble with the stack EFI. I've never worked with EFI before of any kind. But I wanted a challange.

Easiest was drilling and riviting. Simple, mindless therapy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Carburated,nondoner build. By FAR, the most time consuming, frusterating, dirtiest job was the bodywork. I was going to do the paint in my garage but gave up after the priming and endless hours of sanding. A mechanic I am. A bodyman I am NOT. The body goes off to the paintshop on Wednesday. What a relief. Barry

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,974 Posts
Body work and paint.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy Roller:
Thanks for the input on the body work,for most of us..I think that part is for sure the most difficult, no arguments there!!
But I thought that there are others out there that have a fair amount of wrenching ability to put together one of these cars that don't have every talent( painting , welding, wiring expertise, and general mechanical ability) to put one of these cars together that have seen a definite obstacle and I would like to quantify it by seeing what others heve encountered.
Please post by how you are building your vehicle....might be cool also to tell us if you do wiring harnesses for Boeing,or paint at Boyd Coddington's on weekends... yeah that would be helpful
Paul M.

·
5,470 Posts
The front nose aluminum/radiator mount/oil cooler install. What a pain. The veneer dash would be a close second. Fitting panels and triming/finishing edges would be third.

·
drmcat
596 Posts
I have a MkIII non-donor carb/IRS build. So far, the most difficult part is not to throw a wrench when for the third time in two hours I hit my knee on one of the rotors when walking from one side of the car to the other (does this qualify as snake-bit
)?

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
Body work and paint, hands down. Dan

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Keeping my wife from discovering a donor car in the garage. After that, the Anti-theft stuff left me scratching my head.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts