Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOt sure if this is possible but it maybe very helpful to people like me who are brand new to this. Make a topic with things to consider before getting into cobra replicas. Maybe it could include those "I wish someone would have told me this" type of things, What newbies should consider (cost, extra required tools etc...) before getting into to the hobby.

PS- I know there is a faqs, but it looks like information more for people who are already where I want to be.

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
Rule no. 1 should be: Do your best estimate in detail of costs including, donor parts, new parts, transportation costs, body work and paint, fasteners, tires & wheels, etc., then add 30 to 40%. It's amazing how the little things and the unanticipated costs add up. If you do a thorough enough job, you can consider the reserve funds a bonus for a job well done. If you are like me and most of the rest, The sticker shock will be easier to tolerate.
:eek:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sometimes the unexpected shock is the 'freight' charges when you are buying parts, new or used. For all of us Canadian FFR builders, there are several additional 'hidden' costs, being 'customs duty/tax'(Government), 'customs brokerage'(US/FedEx) and the U.S. vs. Candian dollar exchange rate. For smaller items, I have paid as more for customs/tax and brokerage than the list price of the item. Just my $ 0.02.

Allan

·
5,042 Posts
I think this is a great idea; we can add to the FAQ's when done.

Here's a couple of things to consider:

If doing a carb build do you need emmisions inspection?

How many specialty tools will you need to buy?

Is your motive profit? If so, stop right there.

Does your significant other support the idea? If not, stop right there if you love them. If not, keep going!

·
Senior Charter Member
993 Posts
One of the main things is decide what you want to do with the car..Remember a stock 5.0 is still crazy fast buy most peoples standards :cool:
If your planing on taking long trips and drive the car all the time bulid in lots of little things, don't go crazy on the motor instead spend the $ on wipers,soft or hard top, heat and defrosters drop the foot boxes, 15inch wheels for the ride, softer suspension, maybe even cruise :eek:
If your going the drive once a week and race or autocross once in a while the maybe spend a little more on engine mod's, go 17 inch wheels go little more agressive with the shocks and springs and tires or maybe a tremec instead of the t5.
Just remember these cars are so fun to drive that you will want to be in it all the time :cool: Be wise where you spend your $ don't stick a crazy big block with a 671 supercharger sticking out of the hood and expect to drive it 15,000 miles a year :rolleyes:
Its all about making it the way you want it :cool: Just really plan it out.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Besides the wrenches(metric and standard), 1/2" drive socket set, screwdrivers, etc. that were in my rolling tool chest, added the following just to build FFR3822. Portable/fold-up engine hoist and leveller, 1/2" drive impact wrench with short and deep sockets(metric and standard -1/2" - 1 1/8", 10 mm - 24mm), 1 1/2 ton floor jack with a solid base and wheels, 1/2" drive torque wrench, dremel tool and accessories, 4 - 3+ ton jack stands, 1/8" and 3/16" cleckos, multi-angle rivet gun, bench grinder, 4" hand grinder, pipe bender and other small tools that I have probably forgotten about. Others will probably chime in and add more to this list.

Allan

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
sigx97:
You are right. The extra tools are an addditional build cost, that most people do not think about or factor in. On the other hand, some builders probably do have a lot of those tools in their garages and more. Unfortunately, that not the case for me, but now I will have them for my next build. :D

Allan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts