Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. After lurking around for about a month now, I have finally decided to make my presence known. I haven't ordered my kit yet (wife keeps saying something about needing a garage to put it in first :confused: :confused: ), but am on my way to scraping enough
together. I unfortunately did what is probably the dumbest move possible though...I went ahead and bought the assembly manual. I figured just having that is one step closer to having the real thing, and I can't put that damned thing down. By the time I actually take delivery, I'll probably have the entire process memorized. Well, that's it for now...have to go compile my list of newbie questions to ask. :D

Rob

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rob, thats a great first step and the same thing I did. Plus theyll credit you the $50 off your kit. Every other step you take gets you that much closer and also makes it that much more real. Mark

·
6,546 Posts
Well, that's $50.00 you've already put towards your new FFR. hehe.

Your wife's already lost the battle, she just doesn't know it yet. (Or maybe she does.)LoL

Welcome aboard, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Ozona

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Poor Rob, you will be sucked in like the rest of us! I gotta tell you its the greatest thing start saving cause you have been bit!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Rob buddy, glad you posted cause I lost my entire address list when I switched ISPs and as result could not respond to your last question re insurance. :(

Anyway, welcome to "the family", there's some real good folks here. Oh, and don't worry about the wife, I've got some tricks - some of which I learned here - to make that crucial "phone call" go smooth as silk ;)

I'll email you tomorrow.

Take care,

·
Senior Charter Member
1,046 Posts
Hey Rob,

If buying the manual ahead of time is a dumb thing to do than welcome to a big group of dumbies! I think we are all guilty of that. I got mine a year and a half before the kit ad I took it everywhere in case I got a second or two for some educational reading exercises. I highly recomend what you call DUMB! Welcome to a great bunch of car nuts! Be patient and learn all you can.

Rick

·
6,546 Posts
Rick:

Post some pictures of your garage to get this guy motivated. Be sure to dust off that big block kit first. :D

Yup. I'm one of those dummies, first thing I bought was the manual.

B

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Welcome Rob. I bought the manual in 1996 and didn't buy the car until last Sept, so I know where you're coming from. By the time I got the car, the manual is only a collectors copy and had been updated about 5 times.
Give up all hope! You're here now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome guys! I probably won't be able to place my order until this time next year at the earliest. :(
I took a step in the right direction with the wife though and let her get the oak staircase and red mahogany hardwood floors she wanted in our new house, so when it comes time to actually order it, I can use that as ammunition.

Dan - Thanks again for all your help. You really helped with all my questions. And again, if you ever need any help, let me know.

Bill - I don't have a bottom line yet....I can't seem to narrow down exactly what I want. I keep jumping from completely stock and upgrading later to waiting a bit longer and getting what I want from the beginning (ie: 351, IRS etc, etc). I'll probably end up going bone stock though...just so that I can get one in my hands quicker. Patience is not one of my virtues. :D

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome guys! I probably won't be able to place my order until this time next year at the earliest. :(
I took a step in the right direction with the wife though and let her get the oak staircase and red mahogany hardwood floors she wanted in our new house, so when it comes time to actually order it, I can use that as ammunition.

Dan - Thanks again for all your help. You really helped with all my questions. And again, if you ever need any help, let me know.

Bill - I don't have a bottom line yet....I can't seem to narrow down exactly what I want. I keep jumping from completely stock and upgrading later to waiting a bit longer and getting what I want from the beginning (ie: 351, IRS etc, etc). I'll probably end up going bone stock though...just so that I can get one in my hands quicker. Patience is not one of my virtues. :D

Rob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rob, First of all welcome! I picked up the manual about 6 months before I got the car. I took the manual everyplace with me, and at night it was on my nightstand! By the time it came to building the car I had most of it memorized. My cobra cost me a grand cherokee, deck, and jacuzzi. Don't look at it as ammo, just look at it as equal compensation. Best of luck to ya!

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
BUILD A BIG BLOCK!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

-Keith

·
FFCobra Fanatic
616 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Since you are a year away from placing your order you may consider buying your donor and starting to prep your parts. My brother and I have already built one car and I have purchased the donor for a second. I won't order the kit till September, but I have already started to strip the donor. Don't underestimate the time it takes to clean and prep parts. Otherwise your build could be on hold while you are painting the axle or assembling the engine.

Donny

·
Senior Charter Member
1,046 Posts
Rob,

Donny has an excellent point. Get your donor ahead of time. I got my donor and kit at the same time and it was a mistake. The kit was a menace during disassembly and just got in my way. The donor helps you get a little bit more excited about the car of your dreams. Your signifigant other will share in the same excitement.
Once again, "GOOD LUCK" and remember that this forum is one of your most valuable tools so use it often.
Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts