1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
There is a reason it is so rare :D 12 bids for $4,000 bucks!!! Do I smell shell bidding?

This should really be OT though.

·
2,203 Posts
Ahhhh....the classic VW rebody kit car from the 70's that pretty much looks rediculous. These are the cars that built the kit car reputation that has dogged our cars from the start.

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
I'll bet that VW 4 banger sounds impressive sitting at a light. I don't think I have the courage to drive a car like that in public.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Originally posted by PhysicsGeek:
Do I smell shell bidding?
What is "Shell Bidding"?

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Am I an idiot or what?

What the hey is an "As is Warranty"?

Reminds me of the old " we guarantee not to guarantee every car we sell"

Now that's a "KIT" car

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't think it's AWFUL.
The photos (I'll bet) look better than the actual vehicle. Doesn't sound road worthy to me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I remember seeing a few of those back in the day. There was one in my area with a red gelcoat that had metalflakes as big as cats heads. Looked like a bass boat...

·
Senior Charter Member
1,046 Posts
What's up with the miles: 999999

It's almost broken in!!!

12 bids Shows you the power of E bay. People will bid on anything

·
2,203 Posts
PORSCHE 917 LEMAN'S RACER: RARE KIT CAR!!! STOP ON-LOOKERS IN THEIR TRACKS TO STARE!!
They'll stop and stare all right...while they're thinking "what the &#$% is that?" :D

Reserve has been met. Somebody will soon be the proud new owner!

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
It's pretty rough. But you could change the motor to a Porsche from a junkyard, and clean up the interior. It would make a good project car for the person with a lot of connections and skills.

GT40 Bill

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
Reserve was under $4000? Wow. I have a hard time believing that's worth the electrons the auction was printed on. Looks like all the money is in wheels and tires, unless those are fake too.

BTW: Shill bidding is when someone selling something has a second ebay account and uses that to bid against someone interested in buying the car (or whatever they're selling). The reason lots of bids could point to a shill bidder is a seller may bid in small increments until they barely outbid the other person. They'll do this because of the nature of ebay. If only one person is interested and they bid at $4000, the auction may stay at $100 because nobody competes with the one person who is interested. The shill bidding pushes it up to $4000 or just over. If the seller shill bids a little at a time and pushes it just over $4000, chances are good that he'll get lucky and the original bidder will bid a little higher. At that point, the seller is happy because he's pushed the bidding higher (sometimes much higher) than it otherwise would have gone. It is sort of a way of creating an artificial bidding war.

Back in the day, a lot of people got caught shill bidding because for one seller, lots of their auctions would have the same, non-winning bidder. I think that's one thing ebay actually cracked down on (it's a short list), but it's practically impossible to stop unless someone does it over and over. It's against ebay rules and that kind of practice may violate state or federal laws.

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
*runs over to call Ralph on the big white phone*

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Greg P:
Hardcastle and McCormick
I actually liked the look of the Harcastle car

....a bit, anyways.

This one, though....looks nothing like a 917. I bet porsche didn't even take issue with it being produced !

- SB

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
LOL, that thing looks like something Mattel might of thought of, but rejected it because the consumer test pilot flopped due to too much vomiting in the room.

I feel so sorry for the "winner"... if you want to call them that...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts