Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Charter Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While rebuilding my motor I found my stock intake too grungy to use so I bought a Cobra intake. I got it on the road last summer and noticed my motor was consuming oil- about 1 qt. every 250mi. I tracked it down to oil being sucked up into the upper intake from the PCV valve. After a couple of calls to Ford Racing Tech they determined I had one of a batch of Cobra intakes with a baffle on the underside of the lower intake that was too small allowing splashed oil to get sucked up. Ford's fix is a larger baffle. I tore it down over the weekend and here are some pics.
At the far end of the pic you can see the smaller baffle, new larger one sitting next to manifold.

Here is a clearer pic.

Here is a pic of the new baffle in place, but not installed.

I bought mine almost two years ago and I don't know if any are still on the market. I just thought I'd give the heads up if anyone buys a used one, or if it's been sitting on shelf for a while. Flip it over and take a look at the baffle. If it looks like mine call Ford Racing Tech at 1-800-FORD788. The part # on the new baffle is F6TZ-6L678-AA. It also came with some surface rust on it, so maybe this is an old problem? I don't remember anything about it being posted here, but maybe it was before I met you fella's. -Mike

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
This is a good tip...Although I have the stock intake, I also have had problems (fixed) , in the past from sucking oil....Gordon Levy gave me a way of helping to stop it, by re-plumbing the PCV
set-up, (by plugging the extra vacuum "T", and attaching the PCV directly to the main vacuum port...I don't know why it works, but it does...
If you need further details of this , check with Gordon.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,075 Posts
I had same problem with a used Edelbrock EFI intake last spring, but was my fault. Intake didn't have a oil baffle & I didn't know one was needed? :( A call to Edelbrock fixed my problem with a free baffle.
Live & learn! Thanks for info--

Butch

·
past member
110 Posts
Wow

Thanks for the heads up. Just ran about 200 miles and oils down about a qt.
After seeing your post I called Summit racing where I bought it and they called Ford.
They are sending out a baffle and set of gaskets free of charge. I would have gone crazy tracing my oil loss.
Thanks a lot.
johnwasgood

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Changed mine last winter, but can't remember if it was the large or small baffle. The car has been poofing some smoke when it gets hot, so it might be the same thing. Will have to monitor the oil and see if it makes any difference.

Appreciate guys like you taking the time to post new things learned so we can all benefit.

·
Cobra Builder
373 Posts
well, that explains where all my oil has been going. It also explains why my pcv valve seems to malfunction, causing an occasional, and up to this point very frustrating, leaky rear main seal.
I just got a good half cup or more of oil out of my GT40 upper intake, via the pcv line. Short of pulling the whole intake, is there anything that can be done to stop this series of problems? Maybe plumb the pcv setup in the oil filler neck?

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I had the same problem. This forum saved me a ruined engine. Called Ford Racing and got a new baffle and was good to go. Pete

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Do you know if this was the same on the explorer intakes which is the same lower casting? I have a used explorer lower and dont remember what the baffle looked like.

Its also important to remember the mesh screen that goes in that hole below the pcv

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,526 Posts
Well, that replacement baffle is now obsolete. Tried a couple of Ford obsolete places, but came up empty.

Anyone have a source?

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I just put the Cobra upper and lower on my car in March. I bought it from Max at Five Star. I asked him about this oil consumption issue with the smaller baffle, and despite much searching, couldn't come up with any bulletins from Ford, and had never heard of the issue. Mine has the small baffle, and I have no oil consumption issues whatsoever.

What gives?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
I had the same intake, still have in the box used. I had bought it many years ago with the small baffle. To fix the consumption issue I put a piece of sheet metal across the bottom resting on the castimg posts as seen above. I drill 1/8 inch holes and locked the sheet in with rivets coated with locktite. Easy to make, put it on top of the existing one.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Has anybody had this kind of problem with a Holley SysteMax II intake? I've noticed some oil pooling just behind the throttle body in the intake, about where I have the pcv hose connected. I have the mesh screen installed underneath the pcv valve.

I, too, have had the oil consumption issue - about 1 quart every 250 miles. I've been pretty concerned about it. I usually get a lot of white/blue-ish smoke on start-up if the car has been sitting for a while, but it clears up after a minute and the car runs very well once warm (fuel-injected with the Holley SysteMax II package on it).

Thanks!

Zach

·
Charter Member
1,512 Posts
I have ran that intake package as well. I put a oil seperator inline in the breather line it helped. I ran the pcv system the way holley wanted and even with my measures it still uses a little oil let me know what you find.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
About 3000 miles. I've changed the oil/filter a couple times already.

Valve seal problems are what I'm afraid of. Is there an easy way to inspect the valve seals? Do the heads have to be removed to do it?

Unfortunately the car is in storage a couple states away from where I am right now. I won't be able to get to it until around Christmas, but I want to do some research now so I can squash this problem when I get back to the car.

I'm definitely going to check the intake bolts. After that, I might pull the intake off to see if maybe there's a problem with the baffle under the pcv orifice, or if one of the intake gaskets hasn't sealed. I want to positively make sure that the pcv isn't the sole cause before I go tearing things apart, though.

Thanks,

Zach

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I spoke to the people at Ford Racing the other day...they brought up the baffle problem, and said that they will replace the baffle if you give them a call...Thanks for the good information...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Zach with only 3,000 miles on the engine. If heads were also new or rebuilt and only have this amount of milage. Are you sure rings are seated also? Leak down test can prove this. Seals normally would'nt go bad. You can check them without removeing the heads. You will need to remove the valve retainers and springs. This can be done with assembled engine. use air fitting with compressed air in spark plug hole. Use a vavle spring compressor to remove the spring and inspect the seals under neath. Air will keep valve from dropping. I would also check the amount of valve stem clearence to valve guide also if going this far.
Usually what happens is after you turn off engine. Any oil remaining in the rocker arm area drains back down. normally thru oil return passeages but if guides or seal bad will also drain past those into compustion chamber. When you start car this oil gets burnt and shows as smoke from the exaust.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Barry, Who did you speak with at ford racing? I have been told that the baffle is out of production, no longer available. Since I have not installed mine yet, I am very interested in doing the baffle before any installation. Thanks, Derald.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts