Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Christmas Eve a Grinch stole my Cobra den, a white 20ft. 2003 Haulmark enclosed trailer with Michigan license #8C4875 serial # 1D16HGB20253H100615 from a fenced lot in Commerce, Michigan. Fortunately the Cobra was sleeping in my garage but unfortunately my 1965 burgundy Mustang 2dr. hardtop was in the trailer. Michigan license # BLR 762 serial # 5F07T610779. A 200 6cyl with auto trans and black interior. I have had the car since the 70's so it's like loosing one of the family. Not a real collectible car but a fun car to drive. I've spent several days driving around the location where it was stolen from but no luck. The tow vehicle had army jeep type heavy duty tead tires which I could follow out of the yard to the main road but because of a heavy snow fall I lost track of it. I've checked local business but no security cameras, I've driven around but to no avail, am posting signs in local businesses and checking ebay. Any other ideas. My guess is they stole the trailer not knowing that the car was in it. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. It's all insured - but still. Thanks.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
724 Posts
I too am forced to store my trailer in a rental lot, and I have spent many sleepless nights worried about exactly what just happened to you! I'm very sorry...I know just exactly how you must feel. My roadster stays in the garage at the house, but I keep my son's quarter midget in the trailer.

He's 14, and just had a dose of reality himself...he had his wallet stolen at a paintball field, lost $120 of Christmas-gift money.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I'll keep an eye out for your car.

Al

·
4,703 Posts
On Christmas Eve Too! I don't know you or them and I want to kick their ass. What no good piece of #*^&, low life.....
I hope you find out something about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, for all the concerns. I have today off from work and I'm going to take another drive around. Doubt if I'll find anything but just incase. If I get another trailer I'm going to have to figure out new ways of preventing it from getting legs. How are you guys securing your equipment? Too late for me but this might be a good topic for others. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,374 Posts
"Get the ropes boys. There's gonna be a hangin'."

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Man, that sucks... I was originally toying with storing my trailer at a rental yard. The more we thought about it, it was better to make room in the backyard at the end of the driveway. I had a gate installed on the fence and put some rocks down, and keep the trailer parked in the backyard.

My wife finally gave me the go-ahead on the trailer when she figured out it would be the perfect place to store the deck furniture for the winter...

·
16,719 Posts

·
3,760 Posts
You said the tracks were still visible. If that is still true, lay a tape measure across from one wheel to the other and take a whole bunch of pictures, with closeups of the tread from both sides, and a closeup of the track width from side to side. Also get clear shots of the actual width of the tire on each side. Then lay the tape parallel to the track to get a clear shot of the size of the individual lugs in the tread.

If the tires are that distinctively "off-roadish", your next move is to check around places where the owner of that truck might hang out...for example, bars with lots of high-lift 4x4s in the lot, or shops specializing in off road 4x4s. Look for tires that match the tracks, then try to eyeball the track width. If the owner catches you actually measuring the width, you could get into trouble. If somebody catches you checking out their tires, just tell 'em you were admiring them, might get a set like that for your truck.

If you think you've found it, record the license number, then call the police and ask them to check it out.

Good luck. Be careful.

AJ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AJ, thanks, I'll get the tape out as you say. Hope it's not too late because of the warm weather melting the snow and all. The lot that I stored the trailer at was actually a private fenced lot behind my neighbors office not a rental lot. Not sure if it would have made any difference aside perhaps a security camera. Hagerty Insurance has been very nice to work with so far on this loss. They say they will pay off within a few weeks. Not sure what will happen if the car is found after they pay. Thanks for all your help and concerns.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Boy, It sure is hard to love your neighbor when you hear crap like that. I am glad to hear it is (or was) insured. But that definately does not compensate for the sentimental loss. Now I know why people must sometimes go Postal!!! :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts