Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
File under "bright ideas":
Here is a link to an article about a filtering system that claims to improve performance and durability in high-performance engines.(That's us, isn't it?)
www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=710
What's your opinion on this system? Would it work as advertised? Why or why not?

·
Registered
276 Posts
sounds good in theory, but sometimes theory does not = real life.

·
Charter Member
6,157 Posts
I thought it was mechanical failure or oil starvation that caused high preformance engine problems.

·
5,042 Posts
trevor, the article tends to suggest that the mechanical failures are brought on by contaminants in the fluids, causing wear that leads to failure. On the face of it the idea looks good, but if it's THAT good, how come we haven't had the products marketed to us yet?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Magnus,

Who knows? I agree w/Ffred that this looks kinda like a knock-off of an old idea. However, it only takes that last degree of refinement to turn a "nice idea" into a breakthrough. & Matt is absolutely correct about the sometimes convoluted path from theory to reality. But on the other hand, this might turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, & one of those that leaves us scratching our heads & asking, "Now why didn't I think of that?" I reckon time will tell.

Best,
Matt

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a link to the Magnom webpage: they say they use this thing in race engines in England. Fairly impressive if true. I'm considering putting the F1 unit on my car. Couldn't hurt.
http://212.240.121.32/new/index.asp

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
It certainly can't hurt, but remember there are a lot of non-ferrous (non-magnetic) bits in an engine.

·
4,494 Posts
Their idea is somewhat valid. However, their basic conclusions are based on their finding significant contaminates entering the bearing journals from the oil ports and becoming imbedded in the bearings, etc, resulting in huge failures. The real question is, why was there that much contaminates in the oil to start with? That is not from impure oil. It is from overheated, underlubricated metal surfaces grinding themselves to pieces. Further, their magnetic filters will do nothing about all the non-ferous metal contaminates, which are just a bad.

I suggest that their examined engines are very extreme race engines, under extreme conditions. O

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill32,
Here's a link to a possible solution to the issue of non-ferrous contaminants
www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm
Combine the two products and you have yourself the fastest oil refinery on earth. :D

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Another solution to the problem may be to use a large high quality spin on filter and change it often. I wonder if I could market my idea?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(I deleted this comment as it didn't apply)

[ December 14, 2005, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Magnus ]

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike,
if you don't stop confusing me logic and common sense I am going to have to take drastic measures! As soon as I think of something drastic I will let you know!

·
Premium Member
10,248 Posts
Magnetic plugs have been used in turbine engines for a long time. Usually have a light associated with it to warn the pilot of impending failure.
Still means there is too much metal in the system from someplace it shouldn't be.
I think Mikeinatlanta should market the spin on idea!! Wonderful solution...

·
Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
I used to work for a guy who sold an oil filter system whcih used rolls of toilet paper as its filtering medium. One roll for cars, 4 or 5 for large diesels. He swore by them and oil looked brand new after several thousand miles. Clean looking oil doesn't necessarily mean it's clean but it makes you feel better. Also, probably does wonders for your oil pressure.

·
4,494 Posts
Those toilet paper filers (brand name Franz filters) were very good filters. However, they required that you tap bypass line from the output of the oil pump, so that part of the oil normally going into the engine oil ports was diverted to the Franz filter and then dumped back into the oil pan. In a high output engine, you want all the oil you can get to the moving engine parts. If you had a situation with a pump that could put out a lot more oil volume and pressure than the engine required, then they would probably be OK.

I think Mike in Atlanta has the right idea, use Purolator Pure One filters (Pep Boys has them) and change them often, in racing, after every weekend.

Bill

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The magnetic filter sales-rep says that filter is used by Ferrari as OEM. How would one check out that statement?
I wouldn't mind using something that is good enough for the Maranello crowd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts