Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the majority of the afternoon trying to button up the power steering project, only to become extremely fustrated trying to assemble the high pressure lines.

I got the fittings and tube from Breeze and was trying to assemble them by the recommendations on the Heidts website, however no matter what method I tried to cut the lines, it seemed that I nicked or deformed the teflon line everytime that made it impossible to get the teflon tube into the inner diameter of the bronze fitting on the fitting,

Question:

For those of you who have made high pressure lines with teflon tubing in the past, what have you found to be the best method to cut the tubing for ease of assembly? Also do you have any tricks of trade to help with assembly?

Thanks in advance...time for a beer.....

Squid

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wrap the line in tape and then use a dremel cutting disc. No pressure, no deformation, and the tape keeps it all in place. Unwrap the tape and do the fitting, voila.

·
Speed-crazed and Confused
2,349 Posts
x3 reinforced dremel cutting disk

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
a shear works the absolute best if you happen to have one. No tape needed. This is what we use in all our hose shops.

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

Thanks guys..I have some options to try tomorrow. I did use a dremel, but it seemed to still muck up the teflon..will try again.

Any one have tricks on fitting the teflon under the ferrel?? I was reading about oil, but it appears the end condition of the teflon is the key.

Squid

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
My method

All:

I use the chisel and block method on SS braided hose, either rubber or teflon. This method doesn't heat the teflon or rubber and deform the end like an air or electric die grinder. The SS braid is not as likely to spread either. I use masking tape to mark a line so that it is easier to cut at a right angle. Usually one good wack with a BFH will cut the hose and leave a nice clean cut. This is how most shops make custom hoses if you don't have a trick chop saw with a super fine grit blade. Lowes sells the chisels and I found a block of aluminum at a metal scrap yard to use as an anvil for cutting.

http://www.anplumbing.com/page/11

This is also a great place to get other videos about AN fittings and hose.

Chisel is called a masons chisel. The hand guard is the only thing that has kept me from wearing a cast on my left hand.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Ron

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
It sounds like you are using ferrel type fittings as used on air conditioning lines (heidt's uses these on their power steering pressure adjuster valves). With the ferrel type of hose end fittings, the inner tube doesn't go into the ferrel, the fitting goes onto the hose first, then the ferrel gets pushed in between the outer lining of the hose and the inner tube until it is flush with the end of the tube. Then the fitting slides forwards over the ferrell and gets attached to the power steering pump applying pressure to the fitting and the ferrel. Do you have a pic of the parts of the fitting assembly you are using just to be sure?

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fittings

The fittings I am using are the one Mark sells at Breeze. Looking at the documentation at the Heidt website, they say to cut the line, take the end off the fitting and put the reamining sections of the fitting in a vice. I then push the hose on the fitting's tube to shape the tube witht he ferrell still sitting on the fitting's tube. It then says to work the hose until it is in the bore of the ferrell. This is where I am having problems. I cannot get it to sit under the ferrell as I am deforming the teflon tube too much during the cut.

The directions I have been using was found at the following linkhttp://www.heidts.com/_uploaded_files/braided_hoses.pdf

Thanks,

Squid

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
When I was making AN SS lines I used a Dremel to just cut through the SS braid all the way around (used tape) and then used a very sharp new blade in a large box cutter to slice through the remaining inner hose in one clean cut. I also had fits trying to make one particular hose (braid kept fraying) and then went and bought some new AN6 SS hose from Russel and it went together like a charm, the braid seemed better/tighter on the Russel hose than what I was previously using (no name brand). Scott

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
teflon line 06 stainless braided tubing assembly

Wrap the tube at the desired cut location with masking tape, maybe two turns. Then use a die grinder with cut-off wheel to cut the tube. Nip any stray pieces of stainless off. Blow out the tube to remove any debris. remove the tape. Sequence of assembly is to slide the tube nut over the braid, open the braid slightly and insert the teflon tub into the brass ferrule until it bottoms on the shoulder of the ferrule. Then push the tube onto the fitting, then secure the tube to the fitting with the tube nut.

I would not think it possible to slide the teflon over the fitting and into the ferrule at the same time since the tube will be expanded as it goes over the fitting and become too large to slide into the ID of the ferrule.

Hope that helps!

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Just a thought about teflon hose

I found out that teflon inner hose comes in two thicknesses. The brass olive has to be the right size for the hose. there is an .040 thickness and .032 hose and the OD of the hose is larger not the ID. Earl's sells the .040 and I had bought some fittings from another source that had the .032 olive. I tried to make the .030 fit over the .040 and it won't go. Just a thought.

AN Speed-Flex Hose | ANplumbing.com

Google Image Result for http://image.hotrod.com/f/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1101_performance_fuel_hoses/31500547%2Bw794/hrdp_1101_13_o%2Bperformance_fuel_hoses%2Bsmooth_bore_PTFE_hose.jpg

Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank You!

Mark at Breeze you were right on the mark (as ususal!!). After getting a nice cut of the teflon tube on work's industrial cutoff chop saw, I hand assembled the ferrell with no issue as the tube had not deformed. This was contary to what is said on the heidt's instruction who says to try and fit the tube under the ferrrel while pushing the tube on the fitting....so much for following instructions

Thanks again to everyone for getting me over this hurdle...no on to the next...the go-kart can't be that far away!!

Squid!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.