Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished installing my rear-end and brakes, and I have a couple of questions:

1.) I have a shortened 8.8 (Fox?) transaxle with new 5 lug axles. I needed the modified brake mounting bracket, but the spacing was off by about .375" on each side. I placed 2 washers behind the brake at the 2 bolt locations (see picture), to center the brake pads and rotor....Is this fix correct/safe?

2.) The brake is close, but not touching the coil-over....does this look correct?

3.) The original brake mounting bracket had a support bracket assembly which bolted around the axle tube w/ a U-bolt. I could grind/modify it to fit the new shortened tube length, but is it needed, and have others put this bracket back on.

4. Finally does anyone make larger modified mounting brakets so a FFR can use the optional wider diameter (11.25"?) rotors in the rear? These stock rotors look a little wimpy compared to the front.

Thanks for all the good advice

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Ed,
Looks like you have the same set up I do. Yes, the rears look a little wimpy but they are from a '94 GT so I figure if they can stop a Mustang, they can stop an FFR.

1) I only had to use one washer where you use two - yes, that is OK.

2) How close? There was a post on this topic in the last couple of days.

3) and 4) can help you there but I'm sure others will chime in.

HTH

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Alignment looks ok to me. As the axle comes up and the spring compresses it will move away from the caliper. The only possible bind I can see is if one wheel is up while the other is down. You could check this by jacking one side up until it lifts both sides of the rear. Axle limit straps could be another option. I do not see any threads sticking out of the back side of your caliper? Are your bolts long enough with the washers added? I would recommend using a slightly longer grade 8 bolt with lock tite for the assembly. It is easy to heat the caliper if you ever have to remove the bolts.
HTH CB

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Ed,
I have a recent post on this same topic: "HELP Turbo Coupe rear w/ 3-link" (I would post a hyperlink but I don't know how) Anyway, I have T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear discs and my interference looks to be worse than yours. One thing to remember is that as your outside pad wears, the caliper will move closer to your coilover. I am in the process of swapping my brackets and calipers to the opposite sides which will put them at the 2 O'clock position vs. 10 O'clock. This will be the 3rd time that I've cut the anti-moan brackets off and I already had the brake lines bent and flared. I would definitely put the anti-moan bracket on - especially with the use of the spacers/washers. Good Luck!!

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts

·
1,913 Posts
Do a search for Oben and bracket - you'll find dozens of posts with loads of pictures and kudos. I used North Racecars brackets to let my SN95 calipers work with Cobra (vented 11.65") rotors, very happy with them.

timm

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It looks like he already has Richard's brackets.....

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Those are indeed ours and will be fine. A ton of the spec racers have them. As for the clearance. None of those positions change and it should be fine. If you are very worried swap them to the front by swapping the whole mechanism side for side. HTH, Cheers Richard.

PS thanks to all for the continued support.

·
Charter Member
616 Posts
Ed, I had the same problem with the clearance between the rear disc caliper and the coil over shocks. I talked to Richard Oben about my problem and he said if I am worried about the clearance then move the calipers to the front side of the rotor. Here is a pic of my clearance problem when the calipers were on the rear of the rotor:

and here is a pic where I move the calipers to the front side of the rotor:

Hope this helps.

Jack

·
Junior Charter Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the help! I should have called Richard to begin with. Cone Basher, good tip on the bolts...I will get longer ones. I was not aware that Richard made the larger size brackets, I'll contact him, since I have a set of the 11.65 rotors and like the look.

Ed

·
361 Posts
Ed C I do not have axle straps with my MIII. I noticed the same thing. Does the MIII require axle straps?

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Axles straps are not part of the MKIII kit anymore. I went to Autozone and picked up a couple of tail gate straps to install on mine. I liked the idea of limiting axle travel, especially when jacking the car up.

·
Charter Member
616 Posts
ED, the limit straps are not required for the bilstein shocks and they do not come with the MKIII kit. I call FFR and requested the limit straps because it just made me feel a little more comfortable.

Jack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts