Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you thinking about building (like you Scott) let me encourage you with a taste of the Cobra lifestyle:

Last night my wife and I made the short, 30 min ride to Cairo, Ga (pronounced kay-row, as in the syrup. Yep, that place) for the 19th annual great southern antique car meet. We sat on the main street of the charming little town and watched with glee as 125+ cars, many of which were built in the 20's paraded up and down the street, thier ah-ooogah horns wheezing louder than those old four bangers under the hoods. I was in the Cobra, and several folks kept asking me crank it and rev it, which I did. Let me tell you, if you don't want to be treatd like a celebrity, this ain't the car for you.

Last night was so much fun, that I decided to go back to Cairo this morning, and register for the poker run and car show.

What a hoot, to be in a line of 120 cars rolling through the countryside, almost every farm house we passed had slack jawed kids gawking at us, or old bib overalled farmers leaning on a tractor, waving us on. Very cool. I was behind a line of model Ts for awhile, and took this picture: (real chickens)

When we got onto a four lane highway, I blew by the old fords. Later, at tiny Spence, Ga, where we stopped for a break at the volunteer fire station, the T drivers were hooting and hollering, telling me how much they enjoyed hearing that glorious sound the Cobra made when I passed. At the fire station, we snacked on RCs and moonpies. (I kid you not) I shot this picture there:

Then back on the road, more country driving. me and the guy in front of me, who was in a blue chevelle would give the on lookers a little show when passing by. Later, one of the marshalls came over and told me "I think you could take him" All in good fun:

Later, at the park, the Cobra drew crowds. The questions came rapid fire: "Is it an original?" "How fast is it?" "How much does one cost?" "You're kidding, you built it?" "Those aren't very big bumpers." And so on. Parked next to me was a 1959 Ferrari (the same one I posted about a week ago) I was embarrassed for him at times, people would flock around the Cobra, almost ignoring his beautiful ride:

One more picture of some of the cars:

They gave out 6 prizes. I did not win one, and rightfully so considering all the incredible originals there, but I still had numerous folks come over to me when I was belting up saying they thought I should have won, or thought I had the best car there. I appreciated the words, but honestly, there were lots of better cars there.

The drive home was pure bliss. A guy in a 61 vette, and another in a 69 Charger and I tagged teamed for the lead coming down the winding Canopy Roads north of Tallahassee.

These are the kinds of memories these cars will give you. I met some great people today, forum member Scott Griner, and many others, because we simply share a love of things mechanical.

Build it, the memories will come.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
made the short, 30 min ride to Cairo, Ga
I've been to Cairo. a very nice small town. Went to a plant that makes windows for campers and travel trailers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I want to thank rick for coming,he represented the FFR Cobra crowd well.He took it all in stride with all the usual questions from the kids and even dealt well with the rather strange bird that was the Porsche owner.I know him and he can be a handful sometimes.Rick is a real first class guy,and has one beautiful ride.I,m sorry i missed you when you left,but i was helping one of my customers with a flat tire on his 69 Mach1.thanks again for coming and was a pleasure to meet you.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Maybe next year a couple of us from Valdosta will be able to make the short drive in our MkIIIs...and hopefully the visibility will be better. Noticed some haze in the pictures, visibility here was about 1/2 mile all morning from the smoke.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kevin, you know, I am getting so used to this smoke that I did not even notice it until I read your post. Went back and looked at the pictures. The Vis was proably a mile or so, not as bad as y'all in Valdosta.
Scott, the pleasure was mine. I look forward to seeing you again.

Sounds like the future may hold a small South Ga/North Fl Cobra contingent!

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
Rick, I know what you mean by the attention these cars get. Yesterday, I was driving down a street when a little kid about 5 yrs old walking with his dad saw(and heard) my car. He yanked on his dad's arm, pointed, and screamed out "woohhhh". It put a smile on my face all day long.
Thomas

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
What a neat story, it is sunny here, although FFR 4541 has been on the road for a year, I am still finishing up some things like interior and today was a work in teh garage day, but after reading the story I am defintely putting some miles on her today.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
Wonderful story. Enjoying these cars is what it is all about....no matter how you define your enjoyment (crusing, autocross, show, or go).

The people I feel sorry for are those to the left of the '30 Ford. No one EVER asks them the questions they ask you.

Keep enjoying..........

·
Unknown
399 Posts
Adult reactions are cool, but they just don't do it for me. But I love the reactions from kids. When I'm parked I ALWAYS let them get it and grab the wheel. Had a couple of em' taking pictures inside the car just yesterday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts