Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I've removed from the donor:

What I don't understand is, how is this suppose to work when it comes time to install? Does the red spring get resued? Does the little aluminum "hat" that the red spring coils around, stay or does it get removed? It looks like it almost fits inside the piston recess but it doesn't. I'm not sure what's kept and what's not.
Here's a closeup of the rod:

Help would be appreciated.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
If you do it the way the manual says, all you're going to use is the metal pushrod itself, and none of the rest.

This is why many recommend installing a way to limit rearward travel and a light return spring so the pedal arm can't somehow move far enough toward the rear of the car to let the pushrod fall out.

·
Jack of all trades
1,230 Posts
Like David said, all you will need is the metal pushrod, and the rest needs to be removed. You have to heat up the aluminum piece at the end to pull it off the rod. I found that once I reinstalled the pedal box, master cylinder, and rod, that everything fit very well and there was no concern about the rod coming out - it sat in quite far even tho the brake pedal was not depressed. Each kit can be slightly different tho.

Don't forget to keep the white plastic ring etc. to reattach the rod to the pedal box. Hope you took a picture of how it came apart so you can remember how to put it back together. :rolleyes:

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. I wasn't quite sure when FFR manual said to remove the aluminum; I suspected that was it so it must be a pressed on piece since it swivels about. I'll update my journal a bit and edit the picture (before and after).

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Originally posted by ArcticCobra:
Don't forget to keep the white plastic ring etc. to reattach the rod to the pedal box. Hope you took a picture of how it came apart so you can remember how to put it back together.
Good advice. I forgot to take pictures, then had to go digging in the box of miscellaneous donor parts to find the white plastic ring and brake light switch. I still haven't found the clip, so I used a cotter pin instead.

The only way I figured out how to put it back together was the $20 factory service manual I picked up on Ebay...

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saved all that stuff in a little labeled baggie. I already have the Chilton's manual so I'm set. Guess I need to go to OSH and get a "Bernozmatic" torch.

BTW: does someone sell a rebuild kit for the pictured MC? Breeze? Tristates?

I saw chunks of something inside the MC so I know it'll need a rebuild. Just need a kit to rebuild all the O-rings and seals. PN of a kit would be good if it's a FORD kit. Then I could ping 5 Star Ford.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
289FIA_Cobra:
Check with NAPA Auto Parts, they may have a rebuild kit. If all else fails, go with a rebuilt/auto-recycler 84 Jeep Cherokee MC.

Allan

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
misu:
I've done a search on MC's and the more I start down this path, the more "grumpy" was right. This "donor" build is somewhat for the birds. With the car in parts right now, it's too late. So far the MC and steering rack is only good for "core" returns. :(

Speaking of which, I checked NAPA autoparts, and Tru-stop remanufacutres a lot of of the MC's for Napa. The 84' Cherokee refurb. (TMS101896) costs. $24.99 w/core ($13.00). I don't know if they'd take the Mustang MC as a "core". Need to call them on that.

For those who have wondered just how much larger the bore sizes are:
84' Jeep Cherokee w/V6, TSM101896: bore size is 0.9375" (23.8mm)
91' Mustang w/V8, TSM104005: 21mm. (0.8268")
NOTE: in the Napa site, the post 1.1875" next to the 21mm (maybe the stoke???).

So NOW yet another part is only good for a core! Grrr.... making me really wish I listened to some of you on this "donor". :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
If anyone needs a new M/C pushrod I have them. They are ajustable and new.
Mike Forte
781-248-8946

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mike, that's good to know (the adjustable part and that you have them). I'm getting ready to replace my pedal with a modified one from Mike Everson and not really sure what I'm getting into. Received the 90 degree oil filter relocater ok about two weeks ago, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts