Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with some of their later offerings, did Ford ever produce and offer a stand alone 4.6L 32V engine management harness similar to their 5.0L (new and old) offerings? Anyone with a 1999-2000 Ford Motorsport parts catalog that can take a look and see (or better yet, scan it in and post the page)?

Bill S.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As far as I've heard they never did. Here at WireDiet.com I've been turning out my version of a 'stand alone' for the 96-98 4.6's as well as 99-04 4.6's.

My 'stand alone' has successfully been used in conjunction with the Ron Frances FFR supplied 10 circuit chassis harness as well as the 20 circuit EZ Wiring chassis harness I normally use (plenty of circuit's to run engine and fuel tank PLUS accessories). No reason it wouldn't work with any other chassis harness on the market that provides the needed fused circuits.

In the 96-98 version I eliminate the Mustang Battery Junction Box harness completely and you end up with only the Mustang Engine harness and PCM (computer) harness. I still like to get the dash for the Data Link Connector wiring (must have for diagnostics) and a couple of connectors with pigtails that crossover to the PCM harness to retain the Mustangs connectivity and to provide a disconnect between the Mustang harnesses and which ever chassis harness is used.

In the 99-04 version the BJB harness also goes away but the number of crossover wires increases to accomadate a more complex electrical system and I advise builders to be aware of how many circuits including accessories your going to need before chosing a chassis harness. A 10 circuit will leave you wanting in most cases and will require a auxliary fuse panel to accomadate all the power wires needed. A 20 circuit in almost all cases will provide the needed circuits out of the same fuse panel for Mustang and accessories power.

In all most all cases the 99-04 4.6's are going to require the Mustang fuel system including the fuel pump out of the Main Body harness with correct connector to the PCM harness whether your using the Mustang fuel tank or a aftermarket.

Art

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Art, just curious what you do with the '99 and up cars (or is it '00 and up?) that run a bunch of stuff through the gauge pod? Not just PATS but there's a few other circuits too. I know some early 4.6 Terminator swaps that actually left the gauge cluster plugged in and they just stuck the whole cluster up in the dash of the car being retrofitted.

Ron Francis has their line of EFI wiring too for modulars, 5.0L pushord, and even 2.3L turbo and V-6 setups, but never installed one.

Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
In a WireDiet.com 99-04 4.6 'stand alone' the dash pod goes away as with most hot rod 4.6 transplants to other cars. Ford Racing does not provide for any dash pod functions in their Conrol Packs, it would just take away from the simplicity hot rodders are after and make a already expenseive setup more so. You need the circuit board in the dash pod to decipher the signals off the SCP- and SCP+ twisted pair of wires that carries the lions share of information to the dash pod. They do supply the OBD II Data Link Connector for scanner use in diagnostics which I harvest from the dash harness with correct wires and connectors to the PCM harness.

As most of you know the early 4.6 FFR builds did require you keep the dash pod ect. behind the dash so the PATS would let the engine start. When the first 4.6 builders came to Roger Stine to create a 4.6 version WireDiet they absolutely wanted the PATS to go away so they wouldn't have to use the dash pod ect. behind the dash. He tossed that pitch to me and I was able to find a tuner in our area that was able to 'flash' out PATS and the door to a much cleaner behind the dash scene was opened. Along with the decsion to not 'diet' and retain the Mustang dash harness or main body harness (except for fuel system) and use a aftermarket chassis harness instead and you have what is still to this day the basis of the standard WireDiet and gave us the knowledge base to come up with a 'stand alone' version. In any 'stand alone' system their are some wires that need to cross over to your chassis harness or original OEM wiring for 'hot all the time' and 'hot in run/start' circuits required.

Through the years I have been able to provide for any number of other functions that the Mustang harnesses contained but that's puts you beyond the scope and meaning of a 'stand alone' and even beyond the scope of my standard WireDiet and into custom harness territory. But yes you can retain the dash pod.

As to Ron Frances mod setup I believe they aquired Detail Zone and use their system for mods.

Art

·
Cobra Poor
651 Posts
Art,

Do you have pricing available for your Stand Alone harnesses? I checked your website and there wasn't any info yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.