Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
New
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everything you see here came off of a '97 Mercury Mountaineer. I didn't use it - went the carburetor route. All pictured below for $150 (plus shipping) until noon on Saturday. (Then it goes on Ebay and I don't know the rules regarding taking it off if someone here wants it.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Intake and manifold

I have a few questions if you could answer for me. Will every thing hook right up (wiring ,injectors,) without a lot of modification to my stock 5.0 HO motor system? I have installed the Cobra finned valve covers and had to install a spacer for the Intake manifold to clear. Will this intake clear the valve covers? Is the throttle body included? It is not mentioned. Terry

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a few questions to ask. Will this work using my stock 5.0 HO wiring harness Also are the injectors 19# as my ho engine. I have installed cobra valve covers will this system clear them. I had to use a spacer on my old manifold. Last Is the throttle body included as it is not listed I may have sent twice but did not see my last reply posted Terry

·
New
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Readers - need help on this one.

I have a few questions if you could answer for me. Will every thing hook right up (wiring ,injectors,) without a lot of modification to my stock 5.0 HO motor system? I have installed the Cobra finned valve covers and had to install a spacer for the Intake manifold to clear. Will this intake clear the valve covers? Is the throttle body included? It is not mentioned. Terry
Terry - I'll have to ask for help (poll the audience) on this one. (Except for the throttle body question - everything in the picture is included - if you want it.) I bought the engine and went straight to a carb set up (no stinken modern stuff for this old fart) and I don't have any idea as to any physical size differences between a stock 5.0 and this intake. I would have to ask though why your current spacer couldn't be used if they are the same size. Lots of folks have made this mod and I've never read of any problems. You might want to ask the gang on the main forum page. Good luck, Darrel

·
Junior Charter Member
984 Posts
I can help out a little here. I installed an Explorer intake on my stock 302. It was necessary to put in a spacer to allow for a bit of clearance on the drivers side. I have the stock valve covers though so take that into consideration. At worst it might mean that you will require an additional/new spacer beyond what you have. Everything else fits fine; harness, injectors. Difference in performance is noticable.

Greg

·
New
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Greg. I suspected that would be the answer but not having done it myself........

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
To answer some of the concerns...Its worth what he is asking and can easily be installed with your engine. as for height worst case scenario, you get a half inch spacer for the upper intake which will gain you a few Hp anyway.

I just bought one from a friend for $100 and its nowhere near as clean as this one. The explorer I believe used 19lb pencil style injectors. basically the same as stock mustang but slimmer and more efficient, any mustang injector should fit the intake.

If I were using this I would go 24lb (used sets of 8 typically run about $100)

The explorer throttle body is about 5mm bigger than fox mustang, it can be used but the throttle cable orientation is different, basically the pvot needs grinding off and rewelding.

These intakes clean up nice, the lower is identical to GT40, the upper is similar, I am told it actually gives more hp than a cobra intake.

In simple terms modifications are virtually nil on the intake itself. the throttle body needs slight modification.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I installed the Explorer intake on my 5.0. It works fine and performs very good. I have the cobra covers and it clears with no spacer.You will need to drill and tap a hole for one of the sensors. Everything fits ,wiring harness,injectors,TB,.It is a cheap way to upgrade your 5.0. Cleaned up they look good. You can get a cobra plate to fit it that replaces the explorer plate.This is a real good upgrade and a very good price. Roger

·
91 Posts
Question about lower half

Not to steal the thread but has anyone used the Explorer lower section that does not have the exhaust gas recirculation port?

I found a complete used Explorer setup for $125 in case I choose to go with that route but mine does not have the port and I'm wondering what changes I would need to make, if any.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tap and drill???

To answer 'spacehounds' question. I think what you are talking about is the (ACT?). I was told it is an easy fix. All you have to do is drill into the 5th cylinder runner and tap it out and that should create what you need.

Like I said before, I have heard a few other people say this and I have not done this myself but I am going to have to soon, since I have the very same intake here that is for sale. Any help from someone who has done this would be appreciated to!

BTW, this is a very clean intake and is a good price with the throttle body. Someone buy it before the money hungry ebay people steal this poor guys profits. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Parts

Darrell I will take the explorer unit Advise me as to total amount plus shipping amount and I will send you that amount. It looks like it involves some modification but it seems like I will be able to find help if I have a problem, Terry

·
New
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks and will do. I'll get the facts and details later today and send you a PM. Darrel.

·
91 Posts
Act?

I probably misidentified the port I'm referring to.

My lower section does not have the hole (port) in the center of the manifold; the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog shows this style manifold as "OFF=ROAD GT-40 INTAKE MANIFOLD" but I know for a fact mine came from an explorer.

If the port isn't for EGR, what is it for; I'm not familiar with the term ACT?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
The mods are very easy to do.I don't remeber the size of the hole drilled and tapped.Do a search on the forum. There are some well done threads on this subject.Roger

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The port in the center that you can see on the lower is for egr. Some cars/trucks/suvs use the internal port as you see in the pictures. Some use an egr that has threads on the "back/bottom" and uses an external pipe that ran down to the exhaust manifold. They were bad to rust out. If you don't have to meet emissions you don't have to use an egr valve at all. We use to(young & dumb) block them off the 5.0 Mustangs the same time we threw the smog pump way and took a piece of rebar or black pipe to the cats.:nono: Auh the good ol' days NO worries, NO cares, NO scence, NO $$$$, but GOOD TIMES:001_rolleyes: HTH.

Tony

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
Exploder intakes usually need the ACT port drilled out and tapped.

The ACT goes in the #5 intake port.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.