Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm not getting a response on Gordon's forum and I was wondering if you all could help me out and give me a second opinion. As it says in the subject line, my new axles aren't working.

I'll cut and paste what has already been said here:
inocen1
Junior Charter Member
Member # 2382

posted February 19, 2003 09:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You might remember me writing to the forum earlier asking you all about a 94 cougar differential and its compatibility with the kit. The diff casing has 8.8 stamped on it and the yellow tag reads 3.27,8.8. However the new axles from the kit are too large for the other Cougar parts (fixed joints and plunger joints). I was told by an FFR tech that he was 90% sure it would work and you guys pretty much seconded that. What happened? Is there anything I can do at this point? What are my options? Will any of the parts from this cougar work? If I got new fixed and plunger joints that fit the rod will they work with the spindles and differential?
Thanks for your help.

Matthew
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 12 | From: Blacksburg, Va | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged |

Gordon Levy
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
Member # 26

posted February 20, 2003 10:10 AM
Go to your local Pep Boys or Autozone and get a pair of rebuilt 91 T-Bird SC half shafts. Use the ends off the them and send back the old ones for the core. They will cast you about $60 each without the core charge.

--------------------
Pro builder-FFR Roadsters and Coupes/Roaring Forties GT-40's

Posts: 955 | From: Tempe AZ | Registered: Jan 2002 | IP: Logged |

inocen1
Junior Charter Member
Member # 2382

posted February 24, 2003 06:00 PM
Does this mean that the parts from the 91 supercoupe that had the right axle shaft size will fit into the spindles from the Cougar that didn't have the right axle shaft size?
I'm having to redrill holes on the spindles now and its costing me 100 bucks, so if I can't do anything with them I need to tell them not to do the job soon.
Thanks for the help,
Matthew

·
Registered
918 Posts
This isn't what you want to hear but... you ask for opinion..The FFR Irs is supose to use the T bird Super coupe axles. which are heavier duty then the reg T Bird or the Couger. I would build it the way it was designed and get a T Bird Rear and be done with it. This definitly sounds to me like something that will come back to haunt you later on if you try to jury rig it...As for the FFR tech sound like this was the other 10% of the time ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts