Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
No longer just a dreamer
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my donor, a 1995 GT with AODE. I understand the general swap process to get to a T5, but I've seen some conflicting info on the bellhousing/input shaft arrangement. It's obvious that the 94/95 transmissions have a longer input shaft, but for putting it into a FF MkIII, can I use an 87-93 bellhousing and T5? I'm guessing the bellhousing length relates directly to the input shaft length... correct? Or do I really need to get a SN95 bellhousing and T5?

·
Senior Charter Member
391 Posts
The critical thing here is matching bellhousing to transmission, not to engine, if you use a 94/95 bell you need a tranny with the long input shaft. Or if you use an earlier bellhousing, you need a tranny with the short input shart. You will probably be better off with the earlier shorter unit, it will allow the drive shaft to a little longer.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
#1 Yes

#2 Yes

#3 No

Your on the right track, the bell needs to match the T5 you use. On the '94/95s the input is 3/4" longer so the bell is 3/4" deeper to accomodate it. The bearing retainer is also different. In the roadster you would be best of to use a foxbody setup because of the driveshaft length. If you ended up with one from an SN95 it can be converted to fox by changing the input shaft and retainer($90ish) and using a fox bell.

HTH, Jim.

I gotta learn to type faster.

·
No longer just a dreamer
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys... exactly what I wanted to confirm. Seems like the SN95 T5 stuff is harder to find and more expensive, and the driveshaft length is a good reason to use the foxbody gear.

Where else can you get this kind of reponse in 15 minutes??? This forum is awesome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts