Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so please be patient. I have not yet purchased my donor or the kit. I am in the research stage and have the assembly manual in hand for a 5.0. I have also searched the archieves but don't seem to find what I want.

Heres the question: My goal is to get the biggest bang for the buck with the donor purchase. I would like 4 wheel disc brakes. The assembly manual states that 94-up have rear disc, however the rear end width goes from 59.25 (87-93) to 61.125 (94-98) and 62.52 (99-04). How big of an issue is this regarding wheel choices? The manual seems to suggest that the body is intended to be used with the narrow 87-93 axel. I don't want to save a few bucks on the axel only to find I can't put decent tires on the rear without rubbing.

Also, if anyone could clarify how the FFR exhaust works. I just spent the past 10 minutes trying to find the spot in the manual that talks about "reversing the exaust" but could not find the reference. Anyways, am I correct to understand that you must flip the factory headers left for right so the OEM exhaust points forwards before the FFR exhaust curves rearward? If so, is this the preferred way or is there a group out there that prefers replacing the OEM headers with FFR headers? Pro-cons? My goal for the car is to be a street car so while I don't want to be passed by a Chevette, I don't need to lift the front end off the ground when the lights turn green either.

Again, sorry for the newbe questions, I promise not to post a question until I have searched till I turn blue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
With the axle width, it all depends on what your after. Wide tires? Deeper dish wheels? With the late models you have to stay very close to the stock wheel sizes to make everything fit.

As for the exhaust manifolds, they stay on the same side but are flipped over. This brings the exhaust point further forward. This is for oem and for the shorty headers from ffr. hth

John

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I noticed I must have missed the "N" on donor, not sure how it ended up "door".

Anyways, I see you are using an '02. What do you plan for wheels and tire sizes?

·
2,990 Posts
First off welcome. Below are links to a couple of previous topics that might be of help. My 2 cents worth is to get a 99-04 GT donor. The parts are almost new and it’s easier to find a low mileage donor. The single over head cam engine has 260 horse power stock. You do have to deal with the width of the differential but no matter what you get if you want disks in the rear you are going to have to do some mods. Also the engine is not the prettiest thing to look at.

http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/082142.html#000010

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/079439.html?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bitten2,

This created a lot of indecision for me. If narrowed, how far? what gears? what wheels, etc. I am using the stock rearend and wheels for now. I'll have body on soon to see where things stand. Will probably have shortened and replace wheels near the end of the build.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks guys, This is very helpful. You can only pour over the FFR manual so long and you get the equivalent to a Dairy Queen brain freeze. I think the newer donor idea makes alot of sense. I'm searching for a salvage car in my area. Only one I could find was an 04 with a hard, hard, roll. Problem though is the harmonic balancer took "a hard hit". also, it has an auto. Price is right at $1950 if the engine is OK but there is no way to know for sure. A friend of mine bought a Subaru repairable a month ago. The yard told him the engine was shot so they threw in another WHOLE car. Turned out it only had a broken timing cover or something and he was able to sell the the extra engine and parts to recoup most of his money. So it is a gamble I guess.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Welcome - I am newbie also, but I have had a few weeks of reading the forum and have (as of last nite at 8pm) a 95 donor. I was at the factory Saturday getting my components (not kit!) and spoke with Jesper on issue of rear axle length. He said, I believe, that if you switch the axles to the fox it is a larger selection of wheels, but with your axles you will still have a pretty good selection and that it comes down to backspace. I am sure there are others on the forum who are much more expert than I and will wade in on the subject. BOL. Pays

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I feel like I just joined a family.

Payser- (or anyone who knows the answer) what do you mean by "backspace" with regard to axle length?

Jerry

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never mind the backspace question. I went to the 4.6 forum as suggested above by Perl and found the answer. I was thinking that is what it was but I always called it "offset". Same thing.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
The newwer rear will work and if wanting the narrower rear only axle change is needed. You say 4 wheel disc are wanted. You may need to change a caliper bracket to use the later disc on rear if changeing to fox width. I and many other just go with the ffr 4 into 4 headers and be done with it. Depending on what amount of power you will end up with you may want or need a upgraded trans. If so buying an automatic donor is ok,just resell the trans and put it towards the new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.