Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a coupe for the track, very budget conscious but want the best braking performance I can afford. I've read comments that the coupes are rear-brake limited, so with that in mind...

I have SN95 spindles, and the FFR IRS/completion pkg., currently with the 11.65" rear brakes.

I saw the kit in the subject line advertised, and also a "Complete Front & Rear Brake Kit" where these are combined with 13" rear rotors and brakets to space the "existing" mustang calipers out to accomodate them. Front kit is $899, and the front/rear kit is $1,199 (I'd need a different braket for the IRS, so another $110).

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pr...4_Mustang_GT_Roush_Alcon_Front_Brake_Kit.html

and

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pr...on_Mustang_Complete_Front_Rear_Brake_Kit.html

Alternately there are Saleen 13" front brake kit for $1250 (rebranded Stoptech?).

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pr...g_Saleen_13_Inch_Front_Brake_Upgrade_Kit.html

Is anyone familiar with any of these? I'm assuming they will require 18" wheels, and not just 17". Any other issues, or performance comments? I've got a call into Factory Five to see what combination they used on their Rousch coupe.

I'm looking at 18" Steeda wheels to accommodate the large brakes.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully if this is a good setup, someone else will benefit from the pricing deal!

Eric

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,652 Posts
The rotors are crap and will break. I have come up with a hot and rotor that is way better.
I saw 5 of those rotor break in one track weekend on 3 different cars.
If you want bang for the buck that will actually work, call me and we can do a 6 piston front and 4 piston rear. I am having a special on Wilwood this month.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm out of the country for 2 days - no phone, just email/web. What's the special?

·
14,652 Posts
Mind you my normal price is still 2005 racer net. Right now I am including ether, pad upgrades, rotor upgrades or caliper color upgrades and free shipping on any 4 wheel system.

·
8,184 Posts
:1luvu: LOVE them brakes.......

Trouble is my bank account can't keep up with my wish list. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those brakes ARE sweet! Definitely on my list as well.

I was wondering though, Gordon, what kind of life can you expect out of them. Street and track use or heavy track use. I know it depends on the driver and HP of the car but a ballpark would be good. And what are you looking at for new pads and rotors $$$$ once you need a brake job? Can the hats be re-used or will they not hold up due to the heat generated by the rotors?

·
14,652 Posts
The life is really on how hard you use them. I have been using the same 6 piston brakes in an AIX Mustang for 8 years with no issues. Pads will last and rotors will go 2-3 pad changes depending on the pads. The hats don't need to be replaced unless you bend one.
Pad run from $79 an axle set to $179 depending on compounds and rotors run $90-$150 depending.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, now that my thread has been hijacked ;-)

Back to the original spirit of the question. Supposing one doesn't have $2000, or even $1700 to spend on FRONT brakes ALONE, are the $900 Alcons a good second option, or should I go with something like PBRs?

The difference between the Alcons and the top Wilwoods is two weeks pay for me guys. Now, if someone wants to sponsor me... :)

·
14,652 Posts
Here's the deal in all honesty. You get what you pay for. The rotors in the $900 kit will self destruct under track use. I have seen it. You can hope you are lucky and don't hit anything when it happens. I have a rotor and hat kit to replace them and the cost is $850 for the 14" kit. I have sold quite a few sets to the track guys out there.
You can do a google search and see what it says about road racing PBR's.
You get what you pay for and using inferior parts on the track can get you hurt. The stock system with really aggressive pads, SRF fluid and a lot of ducting would work safer until you saved enough for a proper system.
Whether you buy a system from me or someone else, think real hard about what you are buying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cheeep

Quite being a cheap a$$!!!!!!!
LOL hope all is well!! Coupe is in paint now, give me a call sometime...

A

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ran the pbr cobra calipers with carbotech xp10 pads on my mustang I used to track day...now the donor car.

I would get 2 track days out of the rotors and I would crack them horribly. Tried baer eradispeed, some cryogenically treated ones from tire rack, and the cheap oem brembo replacements. All lasted the same...2 track days and then they would crack. Thats not including the fact that the dust boots on the calipers would burn away each track day. I finally gave up on replacing them each time...i would rebuild the calipers before winter then run the next summer (usually 3-4 track days) and then rebuild them before winter again.

Now with the FFR being about 1k lbs. lighter, I dunno if this problem will continue to exist....but I'm thinking about different brakes myself. I think a lot of the issue is the 1.1" thick rotors. All the good track brakes have 1.25" thick rotors from what i have seen. but again, with less weight on the FFR cars the 1.1" thick rotors may be ok. I don't know yet. But there are others like Brian Palmer (I believe he runs the PBR cobra setup w/ manual brakes) that might have an answer for you.

·
2,274 Posts
I run PBR calipers, Carbotech xp10 and Powerslot rotors. After 5 track days all is fine. But these brakes are the weak link in my car (after me). I'm saving for better brakes AND pondering means to duct cool air. As it is I have to "nurse" them a good bit.

Brian

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but...
Brian do you think your issue is due to the lack of power brakes or brake fade itself?
Well then again, with power brakes you could get on them a lot harder, which would generate more heat and potentially crack the rotors. So that woulden't answer my question either.
What I mean to say is maybe Brian isn't having issues with rotors cracking due to lack of power brakes.
Have you ever run your car at Gingerman Raceway Brian? And if so how were your brakes on that track (I remember you having problems at road america but I haven't been on that track yet)?
I guess I'm trying to compare my experience in a mustang with power brakes with brian in his ffr. However unscientific that may be....:huh:

·
Registered
840 Posts
The rotors are crap and will break.

If you want bang for the buck that will actually work, call me and we can do a 6 piston front and 4 piston rear. I am having a special on Wilwood this month.
I will second that, listen to Gordon. I bought a 6 piston Wilwood package for the front that fits inside my 17" knock offs that I would put up against either the Saleen or SVT brakes.

Clois

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the feedback from those that have run the PBRs... and I think the Alcons (or Saleens?). In any case, I think I've gotten my question answered. I was particularly interested in the comments on rotor thickness and cooling.

It almost sounds like the weaker rotors don't handle the heat as well as the Wilwoods. In which case, perhaps going with a less agressive pad (and associated poorer braking) may be safer, or perhaps they fade quicker? I'm trying to corrolate to Brian's experience. I don't have power brakes either.

Maybe some Challenge racers can chime in also?

Thanks again guys! And Allen, I'll be up there end of this week... I'll call you.
Eric

1 - 19 of 19 Posts