Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Was the 90 a roller? I had an 87 Marquis engine in my Cobra when I first built it. 180hp. Non roller, the timing matched the non-rollers (I think 351 matched it) and the intake faced the driver side.

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
might want to check and see if the Crown Vic is an HO or non HO

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
I think you can flip the intake to face the passenger side, no problem., costs a gasket.

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
I don't think it is, and hence will not make the 225 hp the HO motor did.

I think I know because I own a locked up 5.0 from a similar Lincoln, and priced a stock rebuilt motor, interestingly, a rebuilt Mustang 5.0 HO motor was only a dollar more than the non-HO.

I think the block in the Lincoln may be roller capable, but might have a non-roller cam in it.

BUT DON'T RELY ON MY THINKING, CHECK IT OUT!! K?

·
Junior Charter Member
20 Posts
Normally the CV motor uses a smaller throttle body, lower rated injectors, different firing order, lower flow intake and I think smaller valve heads.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
The injectors will be 14#, a non H-O roller camshaft, smaller upper plenum inlet, 55MM T-Body and EGR spacer, speed density, non H-O firing order and injector sequence. Flat top cast pistons without valve reliefs. '86 Mustang style high swirl heads. 150HP or 155/160HP with dual exhaust. Non H-O computer. It can be built anyway you want.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I saw the engine for sale on Craigslist, and have been looking for an '87-'93 Mustang engine to tear down and rebuild as a shop project, now that by car is done. Shops always look better when there is something going on in there. Plus, I miss the daily adventure into my shop!!

Thanks again,

Dave H

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The HO in the Mustang is a different engine than the non-HO found in the CV. For example, the firing orders are differant. For the cost differential, I'd look for a HO. Check the local bone yard, usually can pick one up for under $500. HTH.

-SGC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts