Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Senior Charter Member
3,515 Posts
EFI on an '89 is the same as 90-93. '89 does have tilt steering. Upside of using an '89 over '91-'93 is the turbine wheels.

· Registered
3,468 Posts
Earl, if your talking about Speed Density vs Mass Air, in 1988 California cars had Mass Air,all other states started using Mass Air in 89.
There's nothing wrong with Speed Density(it's supposed to be faster than Mass Air when both are stock), it doesn't respond well to major modifications like a big cam and heavy breathing heads. If you find a good donor and the only thig stopping you is the fact that it's a SD car, get it! You can always convert to MA as your need for HP increases, that's what I will be doing.
RR

· FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Tilt wheel is the only issue. If you believe the Ford numbers, the 89 has 2 more horsepower stock, but nobody here keeps them stock!

· Senior Charter Member
1,087 Posts
I used an 89 from Texas as a donor, my dad used a 92 from Florida. The 89 had a tilt column, but I was able to get an airbag non-tilt column from a 90-92 4 cyl. for free from a body shop that was scrapping it. Very minor differences between the 89 and 92 as far as donor parts. Engines appear identical as far as injection, accessories, etc. I believe the later transmission may be rated stronger, but I used a Tremec anyway. The wiring harness from the 92 has a lot more crap to trim out, such as all the airbag wiring, sensors, and relays. My opinion, I wouldn't hesitate to use an 89, I'd concern myself more with the condition of the parts you need and the price. In retrospect, I'd probably buy a cheaper/crappier donor since I wen IRS and rebuilt or went new on a lot of other things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.