Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sno B Gone!
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I finally found a donor an 88 GT

Is there anything I should lookout for in this car?

looked at it last night. She told me it had a "big" sound system and a play station. Well the playstation was in there, and so was the system. Really poor install. I could have done a much better job. It remains to be seen if the "big" system actually works. I was looking at the motor and stuff and didn't pay attention to the interior too much.

She did ask me what I thought of the shaved door handles. I told her they were cool... :rolleyes:

I think this was her baby, so I didn't have the heart to tell her what I have in mind for the thing....

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I wouldn't concern myself with the stereo, interior condition or the like..

The real question is, HOW MUCH and how many miles are on the car? Does the engine run? Does the tranny still work good? How does the wiring look? Get a list of the donor parts needed and that way you will know what should really be important to you as you look at potential donor cars.. I have the donor part list posted on my Build Blog..

http://factoryfive.blogspot.com/2006_04_25_factoryfive_archive.html

Just as a point of reference, I paid $835 for my 89 donor.. I sold almost all the parts that I didn't use on my build and have the overall cost down to less than $100...

·
Sno B Gone!
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could find something so cheap. Up here these things are either crap or really coveted.

she's asking $3800 I'm thinking $2500 80000miles indicated, runs good, she says it has a new tranny and clutch, but I want proof, and what kind. Wiring looks ok except for the stereo...weak at best, but it shouldn't matter.

Thanks for the info

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,426 Posts
I used an 88! Rusty as all heck!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
At $2500 and 80k miles, I'd go non-donor. Shipping can't be that much even in Anchorage. (Beautiful city, BTW.)

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
that is what i used. the only problem i had was 1988 is a speed density system for efi. when i did motor mods for more hp i had to switch the sysyetm over to mass air. not hard to do but will run you maybe $200

·
Senior Charter Member
1,639 Posts
My 2 cents $3800 is alot for a 88 (you WILL rebuild some of the partsand this will cost you more money)...I used a 88...and paid $1400....never rebuilt the engine or tranny and I put on a supercharger....(but i did replace the clutch....)no problems so far... but jammin is right, 88 was a speed density system.. I bought the mass air conversion kit but I've spent enough $ right now so I'm selling it if your interested.... keep in mind that speed density if fine if you keep it all stock... If all the other parts on the stang are fine sell them off and get some of your $ back....

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
California 88s are mass air. There are still a lot of no rust cars on the road.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
There are alot of performance upgrades that you can do with speed density. The key is the cam. Do searches on 50tech and Corral.com to get more info. That said, I converted my '88 to Mass Air :rolleyes:

·
Sno B Gone!
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This car came from Cali. How do I identify the speed density or mass air type?

Also, is there a way to identify a world class T-5 vs. the regular T-5?

·
5,042 Posts
Originally posted by ArlingtonCobra:
I wouldn't concern myself with the stereo, interior condition or the like..
I disagree. A good interior is worth $$$. sold about $600 worth on corral.net and stangnet.

·
Sno B Gone!
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I plan on parting the thing out as much as I can. The extra cash I can use to put "extras" on as I can.

We'll see how firm she is on the price and go from there.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Robbie, do you stiil have the tag on the tranny. It will be held on by one of the tranny bolts usualy the tailstock bolt. If so postthe numbers and we can tell the tranny. Unless trans is out to where you could look to see the front with beell housing removed not sure of any other way to tell wc for non wc t 5.
Not positive they came in 88's,could have a tranny that was going to be used in a 89 mid year change for wc t5's.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The speed density computer will have DAI code.

Mass air is commonly an A9L.

If your car is mass air, the mass air meter is on the forward end of the curved air intake hose that connects to the throttle body.

Roger

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
i paid $750 for my 88 and it ran fine, you are paying too much money in my opinion, keep looking. and remember, dont trust anything a seller is telling you unless they can back it up

·
Sno B Gone!
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RO: I think it's a bit high too. Like I said earlier, used mustangs are not cheap up here. I told her I could drive a car up from Seattle and still be under her price.

Roger and hind sight: thanks for all the help guys. This has been a lot of help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.