Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be purchasing a ffr mark II kit soon and was wondering if I was to use a 1985 donor car, what difficulties I would run into as opposed to a '87-'93 car. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Joe

P.S. - An '85 with 51k original miles on it for $3000 is pretty good, right? (also includes a second set of 16' chrome 5 stars)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Joe,

If you do a search for '86 donor' you'll find the following post:

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=030537

The '85 should be very similar as far as the problems you'll run into. In my opinion that's not a good deal for you as far as an FFR donor since the front brakes are pretty small and the spindles won't work without modifying the donor brackets as well. Plus the tranny is supposedly a bit weaker. The rear end should also have a numberically low rear gear which won't be too great for performance...

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,377 Posts
Spindles are different. I believe they will only accept the smaller brakes like the 4cyl. cars had from 87-93.

[ January 14, 2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Hoosier ]

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
The '85 motor out of a MANUAL TRANSMISSION car is actually very close to the '87 and newer motors, but carburated. Pistons are forged. It does have a roller cam. Firing order is same. The pistons do have valve reliefs cut in them. 8.4:1 compression ratio (was 9.0:1 on 87-newer). Same serpentine drive belt assembly. Again, this only the manual transmission cars. The motors in the automatic cars were completely different (and worthless).
It's only the '86 motor that has the really odd-ball pistons and heads.

·
Senior Charter Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car is in fact a manual, so the engine should be the same ... but I would like to be able to use the rear, etc. Looks like I'll be going with a 1987-1993 instead! (especially since you guys don't think the $3000 is a great deal) Thank you all for your help!

-Joe

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
I agree with Mr. Oben, stay away fromt the 85. Being a manual car, it probably has the same 2.73 gear that almost every other manual came with (86 -93 included), so you'll be wanting to change gears anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's how I planned on doing my build. Worst case that I see (when I finally get into it) is that I have to go find a different donor.

But here's my plan: I already have a carbed motor, and a T-5.

I plan to running an IRS, so any rear end on the mustang won't be used.

Since the IRS will have 5 lug brakes, I plan on upgrading any front brakes to the M2300 R, which should be the same cobra kit as the K, only its for the front end.

I'm not sure if it actually has spindles or not, but they can usually be bought for $50.

Lastly, I'm going to buy aftermarket gauges.

So, after that, I figure that my running gear is pretty much covered.

So, what does it matter if I get a 4 cylinder or a earlier model mustang if all I need are the gas tank and the drive and steering shafts and all the other odds and ends?

Plus, if I leave the rear and front end on the car, I could sell it as a roller.

Now remember, I'm still planning, so I may be talking out of my rear end when it comes to whether this will actually work, but, we'll see.

thanks

·
3,760 Posts
Yohappa, you have now entered the twilight zone. Your build plans are going to change every single day from now until the day you screw on the license plates.

First, here's a spreadsheet from the FAQ section for a non-donor build that came in at around $34,000, but those are old prices. I am about to kick off a non-donor-mostly-new-parts build that I believe will come in significantly less, but that's because I'm going to do my own paint. If I screw that up and end up sanding it down and taking it to a real live painter, all bets are off.

Also - we have a NJ chapter of FFROGs. Join us -- good people, lots of info, great cars, great conversation. Send me an email at [email protected], I will be putting out an email within the next couple of days about the next get-together (February).

Good luck!

AJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.