Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wht's the oil capacity of an 8.8 rear end? I did a disk brake conversion this weekend and when I went to fill up the differential I put in 6 qts. of oil and it's still isn't full. My Chiltons manual say's it should only take 3.75 pts. :eek: Do I have a problem here?

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Um...if I remember correctly I bought 3 qts. and hardly used the 3rd. I would say a little over 2 qts. Are you using the removable plug that faces the front of the axle right next to where the driveshaft connects? Sounds like you may be using the top vent hole to fill it. My oil ran out like crazy after about 2.3 qts.

Don't forget the friction modifier.

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
I used just under 2 quarts to fill mine. Where are you filling from? You should fill until oil just starts to run out of the fill port on the front of the 8.8.

·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK...I used the port in the differential cover. Duh! Where is the fill port located in the front of the differential? Also, how much friction modifier? I added some but it looks like I need to drain it all and start over.

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
You just need one little bottle of it. Can get it at Ford dealer. Not sure if AutoZone would have it. The fill plug should be silver and on the drivers side of the pumpkin facing the front. Just fill it until it rins out. Have something under where the fill port is to catch the drips.
You cannot see it from the rear. You will need a rachet and extention to get it out/replace it.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.