Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plodding Along
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a big day; first start and go-kart all at once. Engine started with very little coaxing... just a few squirts of fuel into the carb and a little cranking and it was running. No wiring on it yet, we just hotwired it to get it running. One thing lead to another, though, and with very little arm twisting I put a seat into it, we direct wired the fan to the battery, and I took it for a few runs up-and-down the ramp at the airport where I'm finishing the build.

On to wiring, next, so I can start it at will and drive it a bit farther without worry of running out of battery.

So, here's the proof... and yes, I'm in my socks; was wearing shoes that are a bit too big for working the pedals on a first drive.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
awesome vid! Love that feeling! good job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
that is awesome, congrats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Congrats!!

Lots of fun... I know, I just had my first start too.

Keep up the good work.
 

·
iBuild
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
Chris, congrats, huge milestone and a ton of fun. Great location to work on the car BTW, its like a top secret bat cave but different :)
 

·
FFR Bandit
Joined
·
407 Posts
F*#@in' great Man!!!!

You have done a "smashing" build. Sorry, had to go "English style on ya":001_tongue:

Keep the photos comin' man.
 

·
Plodding Along
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It was actually sort of a spontaneous thing as I've been almost ready to do this for nearly a month. We spun-up the oil pressure first using a drill, then used a little spare 110 octane race fuel that I saved to prime the carb (mechanical pump at the engine, so some cranking was necessary to build fuel pressure). After a couple of tries cranking for a few seconds, it started right up. The carb was pretty well set-up out of the box - float levels okay, but we did tweek the screws a bit to get things just right to the ear. The only issues were a small leak of coolant at the hose connection on the bottom of the modified degas tank, fuel at the carb supply to both bowls, and oil at the fitting on the back of the pressure gauge. All of those were fixed by tightening things a bit more. So far, so good.

Here's a link to a video of it as we set the idle speed. The engine is a 347 stroker (Scat forged assembly) with 10.5:1, a Ford "F303" cam, and a 650 Holley double-pumper. The damper and flywhell (billet steel) weights were removed by the machine shop and the engine was internally balanced.

 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top