Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be recycling my 70 302 for the FFR. The only thing I plan on doing to it is removing the heads and having harded valves put it along with some porting/polishing. I will also be putting in a different cam that I'll have the engine guy help me pick out. The engine is a stock 70 motor that is .3000 over.

I picked up an old Edelbrock Torker II from a friend.

I have yet to pick a carb? Any advice here would be great, or for that matter advice on the motor period is welcome. I have a 427 sitting in the wings after my first biuld is under my belt.

Also, one last thing, I know where there is a 427 non-side oiler sitting. If someone wants one, I believe it can be had for under 4k.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
kobrac,

One thing to watch for on the '70 heads is the pressed-in rocker studs. The last engine I built was a '70 302 and it had seven rocker studs that were pulled up to some degree, one to the point of letting the rocker arm come off the pushrod. Since this was a mild build I purchased a pair of newer heads with bolt-down rockers and hardened valve seats. I then ported the exhaust side and cleaned up the intake side.

I used a Wiend intake, 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, a mild performance cam, and tri-y headers. We then dropped it into a '67 Mustang. Compared to the old 289/2v that came out, the 302 was a screemer.

If you want, I have a pair of heads off a '88 Mustang you can have if you want to drive down and get them.

Greg

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg, how u been? Can't wait for spring weather, make sure u let me know about the autocross events.

Thanks for the input about the heads, I'll have the guy check it out. Are the later model heads u have better? Also, how did that edlebrock carb work out? One last thing.....do u remember the cam you went with. Seems like I remember running a fireball cam at one time that had a lil more bump, but was still very streetable. Can't remember who made it though.

·
Premium Member
18,086 Posts
As for the heads, I agree with GregR. The press in studs work fine with stock springs. But after 30 years, they need to checked closely. The machine shop can press in new ones that will last another 50K miles.

Another thing to do is look in the exhaust ports. For emissions, Ford put a large bump in the exhaust port called a Thermactor Boss. Grind that out for better air flow. It's time consuming, but worth it. Don't bother doing more than a general clean up of the chambers and ports unless you really know what you're doing. Big time porting won't gain you a whole lot. It's cheaper to buy aftermarket heads. PAW will ship you a pair of ready to run stock heads for less than $500.

Your Torker II manifold is a bit much for your stock heads. It's designed to run at 2500-6500 rpm, you'll have very little low end torque and your heads will choke it down just as the manifold gets going. Consider the Performer series; I really like the Air Gap manifolds. For the carb, I'm a Holley guy. The Edelbrock is the same design as the Quadrajet. Stay with about 600cfm vacume secondary. If you want to spend the bucks, get a BG carb.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
boB,
The Edelbrock carb is the same as the Carter. I like the Edelbrock carbs, easy to tune and very dependable.

Kobrac,
To see how different small block heads stack up check out THIS SITE . It's a GT-40P site but they compare them to many popular sb heads.

I think the cam I used was a Blue Racer cam. The specs were:
Adv Dur : 270 int, 280 ex
Lift : 448 int, 472 ex
It's pretty mild, but it leans on the exhaust side like a stock headed small block needs.

Greg

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, good info! Now I remember why we took the Torker II off the ol stang:) I just got back from my Kart builder's shop and his dad is willing to part with some SVO heads for 800 bucks. He claims they cost 1500 new? They have the ford stamp on them with another stamp that says M&E in a circle. The casting #'s are 32M-6049 then there's a hole and then -Y302? So.....are these things any good?

Man...the cost keeps going up!

·
5,042 Posts
RE the carb, with a better cam and ported heads (albeit with the smaller valves) the Edelbrock 600cfm would be OK but the Holley 650 'double pumper' with mechanical secondaries will give you a much crisper response when you kick it.

If you want some cheap heads off a 1988 HO I have a pair ready to go. Not sure about valve clearance though, since your pistons would not be fly cut.

[ December 09, 2002, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: 2savage ]

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2savage, thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to stick with the original heads or go down the SVO road?

·
Charter Member
1,548 Posts
the SVO Y heads cost 800 -1000 new. THe X 302 Heads are around 1200.00 and flow better.

stack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts