Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions for best bang-for-the-buck 6x9 speakers, between $100 - $150.

Originally I saw these:
Polk Audio DXi690
and these: Polk Audio DB691

They have great reviews.
I'm planning to run a 720w Kenwood amp.

Then I saw these:
JBL GTO938

And the reviews sounded even better(?), but I'm still leaning toward the DB691

Any recommendations / suggestions / comments? (if your comment is don't run speakers in a roadster, save it. I'm looking for comments about 6x9 speakers)

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Rich is right on. Check this out for example:

JBL GTO938 6" x 9" 3-Way Grand Touring Coaxial Car Speakers

Having said that I have had excellent experience with both Sonicelectronix and JBL products -- I tend to use JBL and Infinity for "bang for the buck (if on sale....) , crank it, need to be robust, but still sound outstanding" kind of speaker applications.

Might want to check out pricing on your intended amp with Sonic as well.

Regards,
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Are these to put in the roadster? If so, you don't need to go high end because you will not be able to enjoy "the premium" of the speaker since there is no roof (when parked) and when driving, well I'm sure you can figure it out.
I never had Polk speakers myself but have friends that had them and where very pleased and consider them a high end speaker.

Personally, I'm a JBL man. As i grew up my dad always had JBL everything and even worked for their sister company, so since I was a teen and grew older, it was only normal for me to run JBL in my cars. I have had lots of speaker, subs and amps. I must admit the amps are weak or I just had real bad luck. I've almost had every amp repaired. Speaker are "good", the quality is not comparable to the JBL's my dad had back in the day... JBL has different series depending on how much money you want to spent. I currently have a JBL speakers and amp in my 2012 F150 and have Frankenstein system in my Roadster that consist of JBL, Infinity, Bassworks and Alpine.

I have also had infinity speaker in an other cars in the past and was also very impressed with them.

Best Buy carry JBL product and Future shop has Infinity (in Canada anyways) Keep an eye for the specials...

HTH

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
The best price for JBL is on Amazon.com! these speakers are a very good value the Polk brand is well known for sound quality but i'm not sure the car audio product is made by them. ultimatly you can't tell if a speaker is any good until you hear it. make sure you listen to them before you by.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not planning to buy them from Crutchfield (yeah, they are over-priced) and I can save $50 - $60 through other vendors.

I'm more concerned with the speakers, I understand these aren't going in a high-end daily driver, they are going in a roadster, that's fine.
I think I'm leaning to the Polk Audio DB691. They're rated very high and are marine-grade, so no worries about getting wet.

If anyone can comment on the DB651, I'd appreciate it, but I'm pretty sure that's the direction I'm going with the speakers. I already have a set of DB501's for the front, so these will be a good match.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,086 Posts
Mark,

There are two aspects to speakers - specs and sound. To me the real acid test is how to they sound to YOU. I do not have "hi fidelity" ears. I have learned that paper cones tend to combine the sounds while polyproplene are more crisp and defined...depends what you like.

I would see what you can find locally to listen to them (even if they are not the exact speaker model) and see which your ear perfers. Then see what you can find online.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.