Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I wired up my lighter socket and put the lighter in there and if I just jiggle it a bit the fuse blows. I dont even have to push it in to activate and it already blows the fuse. Did I wire it wrong possibly or is there a specific socket for lighters versus power supplies? I have the power going to the center and I grounded the outer housing. Maybe there is an inner housing that needs to be grounded instead. I am using the heater circuit of the Ron Francis harness with a 30amp fuse. Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Mike, I picked up a new lighter and used the inner knob portion from the original. I ran it to an acc power source and didn't use a ground as the body is grounded on the dash, although I'm not done so I may add it.

There must be a contact in it, try a tester light.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Senior Charter Member
1,874 Posts
Mike,
I had a problem with an after market power socket in my car. It had an odd internal configuration that would cause a short depending on what was plugged into it. Not saying this is the problem you're having but it would be something to check. Otherwise it sounds like you have it wired in a normal fashion.
Happy New Year to you and yours,
Dave

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Hey Guys,
I wired up my lighter socket and put the lighter in there and if I just jiggle it a bit the fuse blows. I dont even have to push it in to activate and it already blows the fuse. Did I wire it wrong possibly or is there a specific socket for lighters versus power supplies? I have the power going to the center and I grounded the outer housing. Maybe there is an inner housing that needs to be grounded instead. I am using the heater circuit of the Ron Francis harness with a 30amp fuse. Thanks in advance!

Mike
it may just work off of power and the body maybe already grounded, may also be backfeeding some voltage thru the ground.
another option: quit smoking:evil:
sorry i am the worse re-formed smoker quit back in 1984, but a cigar is nice once in abit

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will try disconnecting the ground to see if it still has the problem.

Mike

·
mk 1.5 original
560 Posts
a power supply socket IS different than a lighter socket. a power supply socket is not designed to get hot and has plastic insulators.most lighter sockets have ceramic or bakelite insulators. also not all lighters work in all lighter sockets.

HTH Chris

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a power supply socket IS different than a lighter socket. a power supply socket is not designed to get hot and has plastic insulators.most lighter sockets have ceramic or bakelite insulators. also not all lighters work in all lighter sockets.

HTH Chris
I had a feeling that might be the case.... Maybe I will have to pony up for a real lighter socket. Thanks!

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.